Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Mums indoors?

Posted by sylence Toronto (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 16:56

My significant other brought me home some potted mums yesterday, and I have NO experience with them. Can I keep them indoors. Should they be in a south facing window?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Mums indoors?

Mums forced for bloom this time of year may be of tender varieties that won't survive outdoors in cold climates (this appears especially true of fancy-flowered types). You could try keeping it going in a sunny window over the winter (trimming back if it gets leggy), setting it outside after frost danger and bringing it back in next fall, assuming it has set buds again.

I've tried raising mum cuttings indoors under fluorescent lights but they haven't done well.

o
RE: Potted Mums indoors?

These are not that expensive. Sorry to say that.

Anyways, a South window is good. Remove any finished flower to conserve energy. Water only when the pot is completely dry. The pot feels very light when it is completely dry. Mums are very touch, a few dry leaves are no problem. But you do not want root-rot. Next spring, plant them in your garden. You will see the true monstrous face of them. Mine grow 6 feet tall. The place you plant them is important. It must not have any light (street light, etc) at night. If not, mum cannot form buds again.

Hope this helps.

C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here