Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Green Mountain Transplant 09 thread

Marie Tulin
15 years ago

I would like people to contribute their experiences with ordering from GMT this past growing season.and any up to date information about ordering this 09 season.

I ordered in late March 08 which I thought should be plenty of lead time for mid May planting. By the end of May my order had not come, and I cancelled. I was disappointed because after the 06 fiasco, I thought they had their house in order.

But I don't want idly flame them; I just want to hear people's experience with plant supply, quality and shipping this last season.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• asarum
    15 years ago

It looks like they continue to get mixed reviews on Garden Watchdog for customer service and shipping in a timely fashion. I like the value of their plants so much that I am hoping to make a road trip up from Boston to Arundel, Maine to pick out plants in person. But then I like road trips. Obviously not something everyone can do.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I haven't ordered from GMT and probably won't have an excuse to do so, but have had a similar experience with another nursery. No communications and excessive delay in shipping the order. They were on Dave's GWD top 30 List, so I didn't bother to access and read any comments. A mistake I won't make again! Later found that the owner suffered a serious illness and was unable to participate in the business for at least 2 months and since he was the prime mover there, everything just went downhill in a hurry!
    They are no longer on the top 30 List and are trying to regain their previously splendid rating.
    The quality of their plants was very good,(they ship bare-root to save on the customer's shipping expense) and I may order from them again, since the owner has returned to work.
    I have no idea what the apparent problem is at GMT, but maybe someone visiting there to pick up plants could do some "Dick Tracy" type nosing around to determine what is causing all of the grief!
    Just a thought!
    Rb

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

It's my experience (a dreadful one shortly after their move a few years ago) that the owners simply ignore problems, refuse to respond to customer phone calls, and make no efforts to change. I wouldn't order from them ever again. Not worth the hassle, no matter how good their plants might be.

• mollyjenning
    15 years ago

I ordered some flats from them in the winter of 08. There was no e-mail confirmation regarding my order.

I did request that the plants be delivered during a certain week in May.

The plants that arrived during that week were so healthy and lush---and thrived in the garden.

My experience has been that their customer service is terrible, but their plants are wonderful, and a terrific value.

I certainly will order from them again this year!

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

This will be the third year I ordered from GMT. I ask for a late April delivery but usually don't get it 'til early May. I have spoken to someone at customer service to add some bulbs to my order and was told (very nicely) that they may be able to add if my order hasn't been put together yet. I can't wait to order this year because I love the strong, husky plants and the great value. The plants from White Flower Farm and Park's pale in comparison.

• rachel597
    15 years ago

I ordered from GMT for the first time ever in 2008. I had read all the reviews and knew of the problems they had over the years, but decided to take a chance anyway as I have also read of the great quality they continue to produce year after year.

I placed my order on-line in late 2008 knowing that I would receive substitutes because of my poor planning. I requested delivery for the week of Labor Day also knowing that this too wouldn't be definite.

I got nervous wondering if they ever received my order and called the week of Labor Day just to see if they had an order for me on file. They did.

A week later my order arrived and the quality was amazing! Many selections were substituted which I completely expected and all the substitutes were similar to the items I ordered, or more of some other items I ordered.

Overall I was extremely pleased with my first experience with GMT but only because I knew what to expect from them...or rather what NOT to expect. To me the quality of their product far outweighs their lack of communication.

I asked for a catalog this year, but have not received one. Has anyone else?

• threedogsmom
    15 years ago

I just placed a first time order for one flat of 72 plants, mixing veggies, herbs, annuals and perennials. I called and asked for a 2009 order form, which they snail mailed. I was sent an email confirming that they rec'd my fax order. So far, so good ! I asked for an April 15 ship date, which is a special request, so if they are not ready to ship yet, then I understand. I will definitely report back on the quality of the plants, the timing of the shipping, and any substituting.

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

Followup to last entry: It is May 18th, and I have STILL not rec'd my plants from GMT. Should have shipped May 5th. I have called numerous times, sent emails and faxes, with no answer/response. Today I called again and randomly someone answered the phone "Hello ?". I asked about my order and they said it "just went out", but could not provide me with a tracking number. We'll see if it arrives this week or not. I've about had it with them. I am now so far behind on growing tomatoes in my area, it's driving me crazy. This order better be perfect. More to come later this week...

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

threedogsmom,
    Sorry you are having this experience. I'm original poster. I just realized yesterday I never put in an order this year. I take this to mean I'm finished with them. The uncertainty just made me nuts.
    Your order will arrive, and probably look great. And by next January you'll have forgotten about their erratic service and order again! At least that's how I operated for several years.

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

My plants came yesterday. I was not impressed with the size at all. Many stems were broken/crushed. They also added an extra $8 to my bill which was not supposed to be there. I won't even bother trying to get that $ back. At any rate, I plan to plant everything out tonight after work and we'll see how it goes this summer. I do not plan on ordering from them again. I would rather spend my $ on the half price sale at Bluestone that occurs around the mid/end of May each year. Just thought I'd finish the story....

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. This is about the third year in a row that I have debated placing an order, and the third year in a row that I did not (although I will admit that this year I thought about it and then forgot about it, lol). So I appreciate all the feedback here from those with experience with this company.

:)
    Dee