Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfullofswallowtails

Fireworks Goldenrod

Has this been a short lived goldenrod for anybody? I thought most goldenrods were long lasting.

Comments (11)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

Not short lived. Why would you think it would be?

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Only used it once (space limitations), but not for me.

Planted one plant (in 2006) in this sandy garden, below. The sprinkler did not reach this spot.

Picture is October 3, 2012, but the plant was still going strong last fall. Great perennial.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I love the way this plant looks, but have hesitated to plant it for fear of reseeding. Has it reseeded for anyone who is growing it?

• ontnative
    10 years ago

It has reseeded somewhat for me in fairly dry clay soil, so probably would do so more in sandy soil. I like it even though it doesn't bloom overly long for me.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Mine has expanded from one plant to a small 3' clump. It hasn't seeded around via wnd, etc but I cut it back after bloom as it blooms late enough that I have started my fall cleanup when it has finished blooming. Also easily dug or pulled up.

• gardenfullofswallowtails
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planted three of these last summer. The first of three bought from Bluestone. I see great green growth...and I planted them with the coco. I'm not sure I want to disturb them- but I'm not sure the roots will be strong enough to push through the coco. Should I wait a few weeks before I dig them up and try to carefully get rid of the coco pots?

Unfortunately, I bought three more after Halloween and I'm not seeing any kind of life. Looks like twigs.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

mmmm, I rather like the look of that myself. By and large, solidagos are a bit weedy in the UK (and seed everywhere) but I would be tempted to have a go on the edge of the woods, with the eupatoriums, phragmites and angelicas.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Silvergoldenrod what is your zone? There's not much happening around here in zone 5/6 - Spring is very late!

Solidago can be very weedy. I have started many Solidago species from seed, and my experience is that they are self-infertile - and require another genetically different individual from the species to cross pollinate and produce viable seed.

I bought 3 of S. 'Fireworks' from Santa Rosa a few years ago - they are nice plants. 'Fireworks' is a cultivar of S. rugosum - if you don't have another S. rugosum individual nearby, cross-pollination is unlikely to take place and it won't reseed.

I DO have wild S. rugosum growing in another part of the yard, but haven't seen any seedlings popping up under the 'Fireworks' plants as yet.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 7a. Well the first 3 fireworks have new growth. The others have nothing. I think I planted them too late, but I will see what happens with them in the up coming weeks. I'm optimistic, but prepared for a loss haha.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally dug some of the cocos up, and I really should have left the coco alone lol. They had roots coming out the sides and everything, but I decided to take the coco off.

I forgot I planted obedient plants with the coco, and I'm glad I took off the coco for these. There weren't any kind of roots, but I was glad to see some green on them. I had a bad feeling when I planted them because the plants were so tiny and weren't the best. I kind of got them at the end of the season, so I took a chance with them. Hopefully they will survive.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love every one of them. I thought they didn't reseed, but I don't mind.