Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Perennial help

BlueBirdPeony
11 years ago

In the fall due to some serious health issues we didn't cut a number of plants down at the end of the season. We deadheaded everything but for the "bird plants" (cone flowers, blanket flowers, etc.) but didn't chop them.
So now what? Clearly we aren't going to do anything until spring. Do I chop them down in spring? Or will they continue from last years stems? Am I going to lose my beatiful blooms?
Peonies (yes I know they can mold but ours have not)
Hostas
Iris
Day lilies
Black eyed Susan's
Loosestrife
Cone flowers
Blanket flowers
Thyme
Oriental poppies

The list goes on..in case you can't tell, I'm an absolutely novice. I purchased a house during NE Ohio winter last year and had no idea what was buried under all the snow! Trying to learn as I go! Thanks!

Comments (14)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Chopping them down in spring will be fine.

tj

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blanket

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

World's biggest hosta

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Iris 1

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Iris 2

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peony early spring

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

can you figure out how to make you pix upright????

there are bigger hosta.. lol ...

there are few.. if any .. plants that MUST be chopped in fall rather than spring ... it really is.. either/or ... not one over the other ... and not doing is NOT a guilt thing ...

besides.. for a newbie.. its the best way to 'SEE' how the plants die back .. [even now.. 30 years later.. i still worry.. in fall .. i will cut off the one piece that will live..]

take before and after pix ... so that should you have time in fall.. you can look back.. and see .. how it all worked ...

a tip on pix ... learn latin ... it really matters ... its how we know we are talking about the same plant ... some common names are applied to more than one plant..

when i take pix ... and upload them.. the camera calls them something like DCS 002 ... etc ... but my program allows me to add the date.. so they end up 20120116 DCS 002 ...

then when i put them in my PLANT FOLDER ... i add the latin .. in this case a conifer name.. to end up with:

Pinun pungens 'Hoopsi' 20120116 002

so over the years i have all the hoopsi pix in date order ... in one folder ....and the 002 is important if i take more than one pic per day .... the camera kicks those up automatically ...

so to boil it down.. fall cleaning is for the retentive types .. who probably clean their house also.. lol.. it drives them crazy to see their garden messy all winter long...

for the rest of us.. who dont clean our house.. lol.. we call it 'winter interest' .. lol .. and do it .. when we have time.. some in fall.. some in spring.. some never.. lol .. and we call that the 'natural effect' .. trust me.. i can justify anything .... lol

never forget.. in nature.. there is no one to cut them back .... and clean them up.. and they survive just fine ...

now ... these forums are pretty dead.. so i look forward to many more posts .. so we can get you up to speed ...

ken

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Agreed with Ken above, you will be fine. I would just keep an eye out on anything that gets mushy (such as hosta) and clean those up as slugs seem to love living in that.

Also, just so you know proper names to some of those common names -

Coneflower is usually an Echinacea.
    Blanket flower is the common name for Gaillardia. Yours looks like it could be Gaillardia 'red and yellow.'
    Black Eyed Susans could be a few things but it usually is a type of Rudbeckia.

If you post photos we can help you identify. I am poor about naming the species you have photos of so maybe someone else can help or you can try the hosta, peony, and iris forums.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Well I see that you have done your zone, nevermind what I said about it on the other discussion. Wow you have some beautiful plants, even sideways!!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Do the environment a favor and get rid of the loosetrift. It's invasive.

You'll need to cut the iris back by early April to protect from borer.

The rest you can clean up in the spring.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Thyme you won't need to cut back.

Iris, hosta, and peony are more likely to have disease and insect problems if you don't clean them up first thing when they thaw enough to clean up, but for one year it may not matter.

Everything else you can do whenever is convenient before they really start growing in spring. Just be aware that you want to avoid walking on the soil while it's wet since that may compact it.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I agree with nabs about cutting back.
    Your lovely photos are all upright on my IPad.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

Re loosetrife: purple loosetrife is an agressive, invasive plant that colonizes wet areas and is no longer available from legitimate nurseries. Gooseneck loostrife, an entirely different plant, is very agressive in your garden, but will not take over the wild. And which do you have?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Hi lacyvail - there's been quite a discussion on the id of this 'Loosestrife'. We still don't have a definitive id.

Here is a link that might be useful: Which 'Loosestrife'?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!