Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Anyone want to play "Identify that plant!?!?"

BlueBirdPeony
11 years ago

Hi! New here. Bought a new house when everything was covered in snow last year. Learning as I go.
Here are a few plants that I can't quite seem to find in any books or online. It's really hard to come up with good search terms isn't it?
Thanks for the help!
Molly

Comments (15)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#2 purple

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#3 pink

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#4 pink. These are my favorite. They start out looking like the finest grass and then they flower.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#5 creeper that goes from pink to white. Or white to pink. I can't remember.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#6 White, woody bush. Not a hydrangea.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#7 really weird one. Woody stalks. Flowers all the way down to the ground.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#8 more purple. The guy we bought from must really like pink and purple.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#9 pink/purple

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

#1 Columbine

#2 Lungwort

#3 Lilac, maybe 'Miss Kim'

#4 Dianthus or commonly "Pinks"

#5 Creeping Phlox (Phlox subulata)

#6 Doublefile Viburnum- species plicatum I think

#7 Double Flowering (ornamental) Almond Shrub (Prunus glandulosa)

#8 Perennial Bachelor's Buttons (Centaurea montana)

#9 Stoke's Aster (Stokesia)
    CMK

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hi

welcome to GW..

chris has a lot more patience to flip up and down than i would ... i would suggest fewer ID pix per post ... for us lazy peeps ...

i do think she hit it on the nose..

did you learn how to edge the lawn last year???

ken

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris, thank you so much!!! I hope that was sort of fun for you. Sorry about all the scrolling you had to do. I didn't realize that the pictures would come out so big.
    Ken, yes to say the least. Our landscaping is insane. Turns out we bought from a landscape architect. Had no idea because everything was under three feet of snow. It's certainly been an adventure.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

You know you have been around a place a long time when everyone seems to know your name (or the dimunitive of it ;0)

Glad to help. LOL. Patience is not a virtue I posess. I did recently get good high speed internet, so it wasn't a problem. Try to do it before that and my lack of patience might have come into play... ;-)
    CMK

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to GardenWeb! Wow, bought from a landscape architect. That's something a lot of people dream about.

Have you smelled #4?

For future reference, there's a "name that plant" forum. One plant per post is preferred, but plenty of people are willing to participate in projects like this if it's easier for you.

You can find your garden zone here. Type your ZIP code in the box and hit enter. If you include this info in your profile, it will show up next to your name when you post (although some people find it necessary to also type it in the "zone" box when making a post to get it to stick.) This will allow people to give you more specific advice based on climate, weather, etc...

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, purple. Thanks for the help on both posts. I don't know that I did smell number four? Is it good or bad? This thread has been immensely helpful for me because a few of those plants (especially the lilac) really puzzled me last summer. I have two other lilac trees and they are so wildly different from this one. I thought it might be some weird variety of crepe myrtle. The lilacs all smell divine. As do the peonies of course.
    The viburnum smells great also. I'm glad to know its name so that I can learn how to prune it. It grows in a strange pattern.
    I'm wishing that I had better pictures of the beds and not just the individual plants. Our garden is really neat.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh yes, #4 should smell good, there are very few that don't. That particular one looks like it smells especially good, similar to carnation probably, but better. Worth getting your tush up in the air for, I hope, predict.

Totally agree, you've got a great yard! The plants pictured all look great to me, even the grass.