Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis tetraphylla 'Iron Cross'

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 21:33

Anyone have experience growing this guy? The hardiness ratings for it are all over the map. My wholesale catalog lists it at a z3, while several reviews say it needs to be overwintered indoors even in z5! Then there are the sites that say it is more of a z7/8 plant. Grrrr...

Do you find it to be reliably hardy in z5 or not? Is it truly a non-invasive oxalis? Do you have it in full sun and is that preferable to a shaded site?
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis tetraphylla 'Iron Cross'

I'm sorry, I dont have much to contribute but I'd also like to hear from people that grow it! My mother brought me home two little baggies of 'Iron Cross' bulbs and I simply planted them like the directions said without any special treatment and nothings happening...best way to get these going? I also tried a pot of them in the unheated mini greenhouse to see if the cold from winter will help them come up in spring....
~Michael

o

I cannot help with the hardiness issue, but I do know that they are not invasive, unlike others of their tribe.
Here in the Mediterranean, we have a massive problem with the South African Oxalis pes-caprea. It has taken over the entire island of Crete.
When I moved in to this little house, I waited a whole year before planting to make sure I had eradicated all of it from my garden. Huh... I need not have bothered. It has seeded back in from the surrounding area and is now a nightmare.

My daughter sent me a mixed box of bulbs from England last September including Oxalis Iron Cross.
It is strange, but even though I know that they are not invasive, I cannot bring myself to plant them in the garden.
I planted some in pots and they were up and flowering by November. They are lovely, very pretty. Now they have finished flowering, I am looking at the pots of very attractive foliage, wondering what to do with them.
I still cannot bring myself to plant them out in the garden.
Completely irrational I know.
Daisy

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 10:05

I also planted them in zone 6b to 7a, and they didn't overwinter.

o

-Daisy, I feel your angst in planting other oxalis. Over here O. corniculata is a real pest. Last year I was kind of tempted by an O. rosea offered at a local plant sale, but chickened out. LOL.

-dbarron, thank you for your comment on hardiness! I was a little suspicious of my catalog hardiness rating....
CMK

o

They have overwintered here for maybe 10 years & multiplied somewhat, not aggressively. I will be looking for them this spring, our temps have gotten below 0 several times this year. We've been in the single digits since they have been planted, & there was a reduced number of them the following year, this might be the year they don't come back.

o

-ngraham, appreciate the info. Do you have yours in a sheltered or open situation? If you have the time, would you maybe post again come spring and let us know if they survived?
CMK

o

I'll try & remember to let you know. They are always late to show up, so will be a while, I'm thinking late May. If I forget, you might shoot me an email to remind me. I have several different varieties, none have been aggressive for me, & a couple I don't expect to return this spring. Mine are fairly close to my house, but on the north side & unprotected by shrubs or larger plants.

o

-ngraham, many thanks! ;-)
CMK

o

Sorry to be so late in my reply. I had 4 different varieties of oxalis, including Iron Cross. Iron Cross was the first to show up this year, but not til mid July. We had an exceptionally harsh winter, I had given up on it. Another variety with bright pink flowers showed up just a couple of weeks ago. The purple leaf variety showed up just a couple of days ago. All are much diminished from last year. I think I'm going to pot the last 2 varieties up for the winter, they were so late to show up, & we usually get our first frost mid October. We're having cooler weather earlier than normal though, so who knows.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 9:39

So it sounds like they're barely hardy in your zone and/or you have them planted deeply? (just a guess)
Typically oxalis grows barely below the surface (or even 1/2 on top)...but in that sort of exposure, Iron Cross would certainly die (I think). I'm thinking some parts of yours were below the freeze damage line, and sprouted (finally) above the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here