Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

A few cut flowers

BlueBirdPeony
11 years ago

Hi guys- been dredging through old pictures trying to find a pic of tr mysterious-maybe-Loosestrife plants (see other thread). No luck so far, but I did come across a few pics of cut flowers that I can't identify. All perennials.
Sorry if the pics come out sideways to some of you, they are upright for me.

#1 top left purple flower.

Comments (16)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#2 top left white flowers- I think these came from a bush of some kind (I vaguely remember wooden stems). This one may be hard...

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are really strange and grow all over my property. Top left and right purple flowers (they're the same). They're tall (maybe 2 feet) and only bloom on the very tip top. They also split off into "Y's" and flower at both peaks of the Y. Fluffy flowers that fall off easily and are a pain in the butt to clean up. They grow all summer.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#4- Another purple one. Right side. These are so sculptural and beautiful in color.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#5 last one. Some kind of lily. It looks tropical. Very waxy. Right side.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

1. Columbine, aquilegia
    2. Mock orange, philadelphus shrub
    3. I' ve grown this but don't remember the name right now.
    4. Baptista
    5. Daylily, hemerocallis, not a true lily

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi mnws, thank you! I love those baptista and forgot about them until looking through old pictures. I've got spring fever over here. Can't wait for the snow to melt.
    Also what you said about the hemerocallis is so interesting. I remember being upset that these didnt last very long. They were beautiful.
    It's funny how sometimes we don't put two and two together until hindsight kicks in.
    Thanks again!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

#4 is Baptisia australis (common name false indigo). #5 Hemerocallis/daylily is so named because each flower lasts just one day but the plant itself produces multiple blooms over the course of its bloom span. #3 might be tall garden phlox--the flower size & form would suggest that.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I agree with both the previous posters on 1, 2, 4, and 5.

3 looks like Verbena bonariensis (Purpletop vervain) which is tall and airy, but your description of the growth in Y's and flowers at the tips is right. V. bonariensis is a self-seeding annual, so it being all over fits it also. In my garden it grew much taller than 2 feet.

• april_wine
    11 years ago

Beautiful flowers. Do you know name of the pink flowers in pic #3 in the blue mason jar?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

The ones in the blue mason jar look like tall phlox AKA garden phlox, Phlox paniculata.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

#3 kind of looks and sounds like statice, but I can't really see them that well, plus they would be an annual...

Dee

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The blue mason jar in #3 is definitely phlox. We have about five varieties. My favorite are verigated pink and white. Looking for more pics now. Clearly don't know the Latin names...sorry. I'll do some research for you!

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#3 is definitely Bonariensis Verbena. Just found some pics online. Thy are so unusual. Mine don't grow so tall, but I do cut them for vases frequently. Could be why.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are my favorites.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

#3 looks like it could be Dame's Rocket - often mistaken for Phlox. It seeds around like mad and is considered a weed. It has colonized along several highways near here, looking very pretty when it blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dame's Rocket

• terrene
    11 years ago

That Phlox looks like 'Nora Leigh', one of my faves too.