Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few cut flowers

Posted by BlueBirdPeony none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 22:34

Hi guys- been dredging through old pictures trying to find a pic of tr mysterious-maybe-Loosestrife plants (see other thread). No luck so far, but I did come across a few pics of cut flowers that I can't identify. All perennials.
Sorry if the pics come out sideways to some of you, they are upright for me.

#1 top left purple flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few cut flowers

#2 top left white flowers- I think these came from a bush of some kind (I vaguely remember wooden stems). This one may be hard...

o

These are really strange and grow all over my property. Top left and right purple flowers (they're the same). They're tall (maybe 2 feet) and only bloom on the very tip top. They also split off into "Y's" and flower at both peaks of the Y. Fluffy flowers that fall off easily and are a pain in the butt to clean up. They grow all summer.

o

#4- Another purple one. Right side. These are so sculptural and beautiful in color.

o

#5 last one. Some kind of lily. It looks tropical. Very waxy. Right side.

o

1. Columbine, aquilegia
2. Mock orange, philadelphus shrub
3. I' ve grown this but don't remember the name right now.
4. Baptista
5. Daylily, hemerocallis, not a true lily

o

Hi mnws, thank you! I love those baptista and forgot about them until looking through old pictures. I've got spring fever over here. Can't wait for the snow to melt.
Also what you said about the hemerocallis is so interesting. I remember being upset that these didnt last very long. They were beautiful.
It's funny how sometimes we don't put two and two together until hindsight kicks in.
Thanks again!!

o

#4 is Baptisia australis (common name false indigo). #5 Hemerocallis/daylily is so named because each flower lasts just one day but the plant itself produces multiple blooms over the course of its bloom span. #3 might be tall garden phlox--the flower size & form would suggest that.

o

I agree with both the previous posters on 1, 2, 4, and 5.

3 looks like Verbena bonariensis (Purpletop vervain) which is tall and airy, but your description of the growth in Y's and flowers at the tips is right. V. bonariensis is a self-seeding annual, so it being all over fits it also. In my garden it grew much taller than 2 feet.

o

Beautiful flowers. Do you know name of the pink flowers in pic #3 in the blue mason jar?

o

The ones in the blue mason jar look like tall phlox AKA garden phlox, Phlox paniculata.

o

#3 kind of looks and sounds like statice, but I can't really see them that well, plus they would be an annual...

Dee

o

The blue mason jar in #3 is definitely phlox. We have about five varieties. My favorite are verigated pink and white. Looking for more pics now. Clearly don't know the Latin names...sorry. I'll do some research for you!

o

#3 is definitely Bonariensis Verbena. Just found some pics online. Thy are so unusual. Mine don't grow so tall, but I do cut them for vases frequently. Could be why.

o

These are my favorites.

o

#3 looks like it could be Dame's Rocket - often mistaken for Phlox. It seeds around like mad and is considered a weed. It has colonized along several highways near here, looking very pretty when it blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dame's Rocket

o

That Phlox looks like 'Nora Leigh', one of my faves too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here