Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael1846

Strawberry crosses

michael1846
10 years ago

I'm getting different strawberry plants! Some are alpine so they need to be propagated by seeds or clump dividing. If I collect the seeds will they cross with the weedy wild strawberries that grow and spread here? If they do then I won't grow the seeds. It would just be so much easier (I think the wild strawberrys are wood strawberrys and non edible but don't hold me to that) I just need to know because alpine are a wild type of strawberry and the weeds are a wild type of strawberry so I put w and 2 together. Also if you need to know what types I have or am getting I have -standard red runner forming-red alpine(I think)-getting white alpine-ordering black strawberry seeds. That's all sorry for rambling.

Comments (7)

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

I would say they will cross breed. Any plant that produces seeds and reproduces by seed will cross breed with a like plant that also produces seeds.

We see examples of this in tomatoes. If you plant any 2 varieties of tomatoes they will be cross pollinated. The seeds from those tomatoes will not produce a tomato like either parent.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the definition of species.. or part of it anyway.. is that it comes true from seed ...

without an ID of what you have.. nor what you are thinking of buying.. there really isnt any answer to your multitude of questions ...

but.. genetics is genetics ... and akin to a cross between you and a spouse ... which will result in a strawberry ... no one can ever be sure if the child will be anything like either of the parents ... besides being a strawberry ..... to mix a metaphor and pour a daiquiri .. lol ..

and even if you name both parents.. i am going to bet .. we hear in the perennial forum might not have the experience you wish.. to broaden your audience.. you might try a fruit forum ...

good luck

ken

ps: are straws perennial .. or biennial????

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are perennial but most commercial growers toss them after 2 years up north and most growers down south treat them as annuals because the heat kills them.i could have shortened it I suppose will the wild runner forming wood strawberry cross with alpine.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Fragaria vesca AKA alpine strawberry is one of the wild strawberries that grow in many places in the US, but the garden form has been selected to not have runners (the wild form usually has runners.) F. virginiana is another common one of the wild strawberries that has runners. I don't know what wild species you have, and I don't know how readily strawberries crossbreed between species, but to be safe, I'd either not grow from seed, or grow your seedlings in a nursery bed for at least a year to see if they develop runners.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Fragaria vesca (alpine strawberry) is a perennial. Lovely groundcover - that is what I use them for, the tiny fruit is an added bonus (and especially pretty when appear at the same time as the tiny white flowers).

• User
    10 years ago

The wood strawberry and the alpine strawbs are the same species - Fragaria vesca.....but, as stated, the seed variety is a stable variety which is less stoloniferous than 'weedy' types. These will not hybridise with garden strawbs (fragaria x ananassa) nor the other possibility, F.virginiana.....but may well hybridise with each other, losing the non-running character (although my experience has been that ALL fragaria are very inclined to run about. Years ago, I remember sowing some European variety (hautbois strawberry) which was a different species, but cannot recall what.....

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I'll grow a few in a pot and when they are about to flower I'll bring them inside and pollinate them myself so I can grow the seeds safely knowing that they are 100% white alpine strawberry