Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive Lamium Orvala

Posted by whidbeywood (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 13:38

Hello, I have perused the web and cannot find reference to this plant being invasive.
I have had this in my garden for many years and noticed that in the last 3 or so years it has become invasive by spreading thick, spongey yellow brown roots.

I am sure that the plant is orvala. Was well behaved for many years, just clumping and then decided to turn. I am sure that these are not seedlings as I have followed the roots throughout my bed.

Just curious if anyone else has had this occur as all the references I gave found do not mention this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive Lamium Orvala

Hello whidbeywood,
I think it is more likely that some seedling/ volunteer hijacked your Lamium orvala.

I learned about this plant at a talk/ lecture by some German plantsman and landscape architect, stressing its great garden qualities and its clumping growth.

I got some myself and they did great for 3 years ( then I moved).

Did yours flower last season? That should make them IDable without a doubt.

IME it is more likely that other stuff cropped up and you misstook that for the Lamium. Drastic changes/ mutations like that are rare so my money is on some impersonater.

Perhaps you could take some pics this spring of the flowering plant?

Good luck with your search,

Bye, Lin

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 0:03

Mine had only clumped for many years, however it does self sow - not wildly.

Now I wish I could remember if it came with me to this garden, I have a few things still in pots - hope there is a piece of it out there because I've already placed my seed orders for this year ;)

o

Hi,

I haven't planted these, but did a little bit of research. They shouldn't reseed, but I suspect they reproduce (albeit slowly) through rhizomes. What I've read says the bed should be divided every few years, so that's what I would do, keeping the nicest looking and the ones that are NOT producing those thick, spongy, yucky looking roots.

I may have to try growing these. They are rather pretty and shouldn't be invasive at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamium info

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 11:47

grandma, the type lamiums you linked are spreading groundcover plants. Their growing habit doesn't particularly resemble deep-rooted non spreading clumper lamium orvala.

o

I find lamium orvala to be relatively mannerly in my garden, beloved by bees....while the little L.maculatum 'White Nancy has been a reliable groundcover in dry shade without ever over-stepping the mark......unlike the horrendous lamium galeobdolum (yellow archangel) - a supremely stoloniferous maniac.

There are deadnettles.....and dreadnettles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here