Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

Blue phlox

flowergirl70ks
11 years ago

Anybody grow Blue Paradise phlox?? I'm debating on this one. The only phlox I have is White Admiral, very hardy and never gets mildew.So far, I haven't had much luck with the colored ones.

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

I've grown it from bare-root the past few seasons. It's more blue in partial shade than it is in full sun. Haven't seen mildew on any of the plants I've put in, no matter where. Tends to be more purple when it's in full sun so if you're hoping for a true blue color, you might be disappointed.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago

I grow Blue Paradise. Don't spray, and seems to be clean most years but have had it mildew badly in other years. Haven't a common denominator yet every summer is hot and humid. Maybe it's when most rains come in the evening I do have some that never mildew but don't know your color preference. Heavy mildew is disgustingly ugly. Yuck!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

I haven't grown blue paradise myself but a friend does. Not really blue but like gardenweed mentioned the color will change depending on temperatures. I have a couple phlox that go blue and indigo on cool dewy mornings and then fade back to their regular color by noontime. It's a good excuse to head out there with a coffee before the dew dries.

Have you looked at Laura? It's sorta in that color range and does well for me.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

It's blue in certain lights, such as evening light, but otherwise it is lavender-purple in colour. But it blooms forever, is nicely scented and in my gardens has never had mildew. I think I have grown it for between five and ten years. I grow a lot of phlox and it is one of my favourites - right up there with 'David'.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I have tossed it out without ever regretting. The worst flopper amongst phloxes. There are others in this colour, each one of them better than this one.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago

As for color of Blue Paradise, while I'm not good at explaining this. Here goes, the color of the flower doesn't change but the spectrum of light reaching the flower does making it appear blue in the morning, purplish in sun and blue again towards evening. Like wise you can take a purple shaded flower indoors it looks blue and blue appears purple. Used to have fun with the kids when they were small with changing flower colors. You know it's like making rainbows on a sunny day with water. Not sure the kids enjoyed all my nonsense but I did. Oh well -)

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, I didn't realize it was an old one. a friend told me it was a new variety. I have grown Laura, but lost it long ago.Guess I'll try it, just for fun.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

My experience with "Blue Paradise" so far is very much different than what 'wieslaw' has written. Mine is very upright with an outstanding, far reaching fragrance and excellent rebloom with deadheading. Mildew has been minimal.

I don't seem to have a picture of the complete plant but here is a snap one from last year with some BP blooms mixed with 'Becky' flowers.

• triciami5
    11 years ago

It is really pretty and looks beautiful mixed with the daisies. It sure looks mildew free, that is my complaint of the flocks, have tried different things, some work and some dont. I keep them because they are so tall and look great with the other shorter flowers. thank-you for the pic. Tricia

• boday
    11 years ago

My complaint with Blue Paradise was that it remained short, totally baffling. Three years later it was replaced with Campanula Kent Belle which did go 3 feet. F/B back plants to a brick wall.