Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Wayside Gardens

mxk3 z5b_MI
13 years ago

In general I don't mail order plants, only if I know I can't find locally.

Many years ago (probably about 13 years or so...) when I was living in my other house I ordered dwarf azalea bushes, "Hilda Niblett" from Wayside - I *loved* those little beauties!! Have a spot under my new Ed Wood Japanese maple that I'd like to put these under. I've never seen them available locally, so am debating ordering from Wayside again.

However, I haven't ordered from Wayside in probably, oh, a decade, so I have no clue what the quality of plants from them is nowadays. These are shipped in 1-gallon containers, which I believe was the size offered years ago, and since this is definitely a dwarf, I wouldn't expect a larger size than that, so that doesn't bother me. What would bother is a puny stick bush in a 1-gallon pot.

So, what's the verdict on Wayside - yay or nay?

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

if you watch teh dog... you might hesitate ...

link below to an alternative.. though they do not list the one you want.. but have some VARIEGATED ones.. go figure on that ....

looks like most will be small .. but based on the price.. you could sure buy a lot of them ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

mxk, I bought the same Hilda Nibletts YEARS ago (from Wayside) and like them also! I don't know if I would buy from Wayside now, though...

This is a Robin Hill azalea - don't know if that helps you or not. I did a search on Robin Hill and couldn't find many sources, only a few wholesale. But below is a link from the Azalea Society of America; the page said "many of these nurseries carry the Robin Hill Azaleas".

Hope this is of some help. Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: possible Robin Hill sources

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Well, I've ordered a few times from them, with very mixed results. Disappointing overall when you consider the high prices they charge, and the catalog hype about how superior they are.

In reality, plants were generally small. I ordered some gardenias that arrived so caked with scale insects that the leaves were mostly black from mildew growing on the honeydew. In another order, the items looked decent, but were packed very poorly and arrived as "tossed salad" but still grew after some TLC.

Personally, I would suggest to try to obtain them locally or from a mail order source with a better reputation, and if that can't be done, then order from Wayside.

I will say this, I had decent results dealing with their customer service, not too argumentative about crediting for problems.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

There's a story behind Wayside now that might give one pause before you order from them. J&P roses/Wayside/Parks Seeds were all combined in a buyout in 2007. The people who did this deal ran the company/companies into the ground in a matter of 3 years time and J&P declared total bankruptcy last year. The only company that was bought up that I know of during the bankruptcy hearings was Parks Seeds. The people who bought Parks seeds promised that they would let Parks seeds remain in it's present location for a minimum of 3 years. So they are good to go for at least 3 years. No one has bought J&P and their remaining inventory was turned over to Weeks roses to sell. Then Weeks roses filed for chapter 11. So I don't know how that deal with J&P is going. Nowhere in all of this was Wayside mentioned, but looking at their roses in their catalog this year I see that they are only carrying J&P stock, so they may not have been bought up and still remain in bankruptcy with the leftover inventory for sale to satisfy creditors. But I don't know that for sure. The point is Parks Seeds is a safe bet, Wayside I don't know about. If I really had to have something and they were the only ones who carried it, I might still take a chance for 2011 spring orders.... Someone may have more information then I do, but that's what I understood had happened to these 3 companies last year...Maryl

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

See if Rare Find Nursery carries Hilda Nibletts. They have a huge inventory of Azaleas and Rhodies (it's their specialty) and are a very fine nursery.