Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two blue flowering perennual

Posted by jujujojo (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 14:30

Do you like these two? ... although they are not that elitist like the Meconopsis,

photo 3_zps33dc16b4.jpg

photo 4_zps210d542f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two blue flowering perennual

i have not been without evolvulus for a decade ..

in hanging baskets

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I am another fan of Evolvulus and find it winters over well indoors. I've kept plants for several years, and what in the end did them in was forgetting to bring them in before a hard frost. It really is a lovely true blue.

The second one looks like some type of woodland Phlox. Both are lovely, especially as we are looking at getting more snow over the next several days.

o

The second is Plumbago auriculata.

o

Hi
I use both extensively in my garden. though the "blue daze" takes a bit of soil preparation never gets out of hand and is almost constantly in flower. I have two types of plumbago with a very deep blue called "Delft" and the regular sky blue . Only complaint is that they tend to take up all the space lol. I've redone my entire grow area for blue ,puple and white flowers My favorite is a very deep blue Lobelia called "Crystal palace " almost a cobalt color and covers it's self in flowers . Tends to be an annual for me as it can't take the summer humidity.
Something mystical about blue flowers?? gary

o

I haven't seen a plumbago "Delft" offered for sale. The ones available here and when I lived in Texas were all pale blue - nice enough, but not the rich, deep blue that people most crave.

Evolvulus also falls into the "nice enough" category, no show-stopper though.

This year I am growing these two in my anatomically correct garden.

o

Hi
Plumbago is also available in red and white and a blue with white edges.. I find these are not nearly as vigorous
The "delft" is definitely worth looking for . Another favorite of mine is the so called "Blue Pea vine the double looks like miniature roses and is a very deep blue . To my eye not a trace of purple All time favorite is a very sky blue tropical water lily produces semi double flowers 14 inches accross standing two feet out of the water!! The anthurs are a strong purple though and the nectary is bright yellow Another is pacific blue delphinium glorious for a short time but can't handle the florida heat lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here