Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosethyme_gw

Green Flowers

rosethyme
17 years ago

I love flowers that have the green colored blooms. I have two roses that are green: Green Ice and Green Diamonds. Does anyone know of any other types of flowers that have greenish blooms? Or maybe a site to look for them? I used to have a Clematis called "Pistachio" that was very pretty.

Comments (27)

• donn_
    17 years ago

There's Echinacea purpurea 'Green Envy'

{{gwi:197405}}

Bells of Ireland (Moluccella laevis):

{{gwi:197406}}

and Rudbeckia occidentalis 'Green Wizard'

{{gwi:197407}}

• donn_
    17 years ago

There are green Fritillaria:

{{gwi:197408}}

Green Hellebores:

{{gwi:197410}}

and green Hydrangea:

{{gwi:197412}}

• donn_
    17 years ago

Green Orchids:

{{gwi:197414}}

Green flowering herbs, Ballota pseudodictamus - False Dittany:

{{gwi:197416}}and green flowering Cacti, Silver Cholla (Cylindropuntia echinocarpa)

{{gwi:197417}}

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

There's also a green zinnia. I think it's called Envy.

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh My! They are all gorgeous...I want them all! Thank you so much and especially for the photos.

Karen

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Alchemilla blooms are a yellow-green.

• shoe_
    17 years ago

I have several Columbine (Lime Sorbet) that are green.
    The flowers are light green, although they look white in the picture.
    {{gwi:197418}}
    Another green flower are Glads. These were given to me, so I don't know the name.
    {{gwi:197419}}

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Nicotiana x sanderae Lime Green is an annual I use in pots every summer. It goes with everything.

{{gwi:32968}}

• greenguy1
    17 years ago

There are lots of daylilies in the chartreusy-yellow color range, most of them turning to bright green in the throat. There is also a cultivar called "Lime Frost" which is a very pale cream-green, totally gorgeous.

Jack-in-the-Pulpit flowers are usually patterned with something else (often white and/or maroom) and green, if you have some humusy shade. There is also a chartreusy-yellow trillium for the same conditions.

- Steve

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I never knew there were so many plants with green flowers. I'm going to have to try them all. Thanks everyone! :)

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Nicotiana langsdorfii is green - green bells. And if you are looking for more green roses, how about Green Rose itself? There's nothing greener than that.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Leslie, that's a very nice nicotiana, and a *great* composition!

Stinking hellebores (Helleborus foetidus) also has green flowers; I'm not sure but assume that the hellebore pictured above is x hybridus. Here's the "stinker" - which does not smell bad, by the way, and which is the earliest to bloom (in a normal winter):

{{gwi:197421}}

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Daylily 'Frozen Jade' is very cool and creamy, flushed with a green center. Nicotiana 'Lime Green' is a great plant, as Leslie197 mentioned above. Some amaranth varieties have green tassles (the 'Pony Tails' mix has green in it). The Thompson & Morgan catalog lists a delphinium, 'Green Twist,' with green-white flowers, and a columbine called 'Green Apples.' There's even a sunflower called 'Key Lime Pie.' Green/chartreuse flowers are a great accent in the garden, and I find them to be a calming influence in my hot garden, a buffer between more raucous colors.

OH!! How could I forget one of my favorite tulips, 'Spring Green.' It's a tall, graceful later bloomer, and not expensive at all. There are some green-tinted daffodils, too.

Laurel

• calpat
    17 years ago

I have 2 Pompom mums, Kermit is the larger and Yoko Ono is the smaller, also have A Quill mum called Revert. They are all a deep lime green, quite lovely! Sorry I lost all my pictures recently. But you can see them in the Kings Mums catalog on line www.kingsmums.com

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Don, are those pictures from your garden???? Gorgeous.
    How do you grow your bells of ireland? DO you winter sow them? What hellebore is that?
    gorgeous

• debgrow
    17 years ago

And, euphorbia has green flowers. I love that Echinacea Green Envy, and the Hellebore - beautiful! I'm going to look for that Echinacea - getting tired of just white and purple...dreaming of spring!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    17 years ago

Hi! I have a couple of ideas for your green flowers. I have a beautiful tulip called "Evergreen". It a pure green color and lasts for a month! How about "Green Twist" Delphinium? Its buds are slightly green before they open. Anemone virginiana is white, but ive heard that it has a green tint to it. I remember you mentioned having a green Clematis; theres also another lovely double green one called "Florida Plena".

There are a few green flowers, that I believe others have mentioned here, that I wanted to comment about. Theres a great Gladiolus called "Green Star". The Green Rose would be great; its full name is Rosa chinensis viridiflora. There is also a Jack-in-the-Pulpit that is green (and has red berries later!) called Arisaema "Green Dragon". Hope this helps you!
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

There is also Primula vulgaris 'Francesca', with ruffled bright green flowers and yellow eyes, rather unusual.

A......

17 years ago

Me again. Naturally I think of more AFTER I had gone off the internet. There are several other green plants that I just remembered. Sarracenia alata "Green", is a Pitcher Plant; but it may be to droughty to grow it in your area. Hacquetia ia an adorable spring-blooming green plant. Santolina Ericoides (Cotton Lavender). Kniphofia "Green Jade" Torch Lily would do wonderful for you. Snowdrops (especially the double ones)have green fringes, as does Polygonatum. Can you tell that I also like green flowers?
    :o)
    CMK

• ginny12
    17 years ago

And what could be more appropriate than a thread about green flowers on the very eve of St. Patrick's Day? This has been wonderful to read thru!

• ankraras
    17 years ago

As I've discovered, Echinacea seems to always look hectic here even growing in complete shade. It doesn't like the long heat wave even with the best of care. Sure is hard to kill however.

• sylky00
    17 years ago

I, too, love the green flowers. They complement every color, especially the blues/purples, and look so cool and crisp on hot days. One of the most beautiful green flowers I've seen is 'Lime Green' Lisianthus from the Mariachi series. It is a beautiful, pale green that is always green-some greens,like the 'Envy' Zinnia, morph into a sickly yellow color in our heat.

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

There's a new Echinacea called 'Coconut Lime'. Both Big Dipper, and White Flower Farm sell them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea 'Coconut Lime'

16 years ago

Hi! I just saw another neat green colored plant on the internet! Theres another new green-tinted coneflower out. It is the first ever double white coneflower; the center of it is colored green. Its called Echinacea "Coconut Lime".

• evonline
    16 years ago

What a fantastic post! I am inspired. I am going to create a green flower area in my garden.

• bluebetty
    16 years ago

Love this thread...

Don...what hydrangea is that? Love it

• aspenbooboo41
    16 years ago

Here are the 'Flaming Spring Green' tulips someone mentioned above. They are gorgeous and mine bloomed for 3-4 weeks. Flowers start off very green, then as they mature they become more yellowish-green and develop the maroon flames.
    {{gwi:197422}}
    {{gwi:197423}}

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz