Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Cimicifuga, Actaea, bugbane, snakeroot (lots of AKA)

So many different names so I am wondering if all are essentially equivalent.

I know these plants are can tolerate a good amount of shade but looking at various specific varieties I see some quite different characteristics:

For example for "Misty Blue" the flowers appear in the spring (with interesting berries in the fall)

By contrast "Carbonella" seems to have flowers in late summer.

As well I see on some sites that these plants can tolerate some drier conditions (in shade) whereas other descriptions mention the need for moist soil.

I am confused.

What has your experience been with snakeroot/bugbane/etc and what are your favourite varieites?

Comments (9)

• gardenecstasy
    11 years ago

You're not alone, I'm still rather confused myself. This is one of the plants I am looking to acquire this year. Searching online nurseries for the verities I want and for a decent price has been RIDICULOUS!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

price has been RIDICULOUS!

I just finished reading an article in my most recent issue of one of my garden magazines and the gardener being interviewed recalled that he had paid $80 in the 1980s for snakeroot "Hillside Black Beauty"!

• rbrady
    11 years ago

I have different varieties of these plants and it is my experience that Actaea pachypoda and it's hybrids are more drought tolerant than the Actaea racemosa or simplex varieties which require consistently moist soil in my garden. Actaea pachypoda and rubra also bloom earlier than racemosa or simplex. They all tolerate shade.

In my opinion there are quite a few differences between the plants and I am still trying to figure out why scientist classify them together (Actaea/Cimifuga).

My personal favorite is the straight form of Actaea pachypoda-I gather seeds in the fall and am trying to move them about my gardens. They look great with Hostas.

Rhonda

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I grow Cimicifuga racemosa, ramosa atropurpurea and another one similar to racemosa but the proper ID is unknown.

The racemosa and the unknown one seems happy in both bright shade and another location with full sun until about 3 PM. The only problem with the one in shade is the flower spikes lean and stretch towards the sun which makes them kind of floppy. I don't have that problem with the ones in sun. In fact it always amazes me how upright these stay even after heavy rain and wind.

The ramosa atropurpurea has been kind of a dud for me. It doesn't seem happy wherever I put it and I've had it for YEARS. I think the only reason I keep it around is because the foliage is so nice I just don't want to give up hope. It seems to grow better with more sun, but if you don't keep it well watered it crisps-up very nicely, very quickly. My others handle dryness much, much better. Another downside of the ramosa atropurpurea are the flowers - unspectacular to say the least and it blooms so late as to be almost useless for me, but again the foliage is very nice which is why it continues to live - for the time being - until I give up hope forever - which will probably be never - again the foliage thing.

Kevin

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin for detailing your experiences. I have enough plants in mind for my new shade garden that have wonderful foliage. I want some more than token flowers if possible.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

I grow actea racemosa, ramosa 'White Pearl', americana, 'Hillside Black Beauty', 'Black Negligee', 'Pink Spike' and atropurpurea. This year I am trying 'Chocoholic'.
    I have a fond spot for all of them.
    The black leafed varieties are truly stunning plants, though a price of $80 seems very high. Usually our nursery retails these plants for under $20 - full grown in gallon pots. I have never seen any nursery charge as much as $80 for them. They were more expensive when we first carried them, but still retailed for under $35.00
    I have a soft spot for A. racemosa. It's intriguingly stinky, and smells like a combination of cat piss and b.o. But I love its flowers, it is easy to grow and blooms about midsummer. I am also very fond of 'White Pearl', which is also very easy, blooms over a long period, just after racemosa, and doesn't stink at all. It is vigourous and easy, as is the former.
    The black leaved varieties are not as vigorous. They like bright, indirect light to show off their colouring, and more moisture than the others. I always count on the blossoms opening for Labour Day. The scent is heavenly and pervades the entire garden. Flower buds are pink, and bloom creamy white, which sets the foliage off nicely.
    Actea pachypoda is native to the forest that surrounds our gardens, and although I grow it as an ornamental, I am not interested in the cultivar. The berries are pretty, but do not persist for long in the fall.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 'marie' for detailing your experiences.

The black leafed varieties are truly stunning plants,

By chance do you have any pictures you could share/post?

Approximately how tall do your Cimicifuga/Actaea get each season?

And do you have any of them in significant shade?

What has been your experience re their need for water...can you generalize given the many different ACTAEA you have in your garden?

though a price of $80 seems very high

This price was for the plant in the 1980s...maybe back then it ('Hillside Black Beauty') was quite rare?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:45

• the_plant_geek
    11 years ago

Even by tissue culture, propagation is a slow process; hence the higher prices. BUT you should be able to pick up gallons anywhere from $12-$20 depending on variety and nursery. Of course, dark-leaved varieties are slower growing.

General info:

The plants formerly known as Cimicifuga are typically later bloomers, get huge, and have seed pods as opposed to berries. They like some afternoon shade, but should be in a bright location with some direct morning or evening sun. They are typically woodland edge/savana plants. They don't want to be dry, but I don't find them to be water hogs once they're established either. Treat them like most plants and the'll be fine. They can tolerate full sun with extra water. I highly recommend A. 'Black Negligee' as it has been the fastest growing dark-leaved variety I've tried.

Actaea pachypoda, rubra, and a few others are the baneberries. I often see 'Misty Blue' being listed without its species name; it is a form of A. pachypoda. A. pachypoda gets white berries in summer. A rubra gets red berries, though there are white-berried populations. A. nigra is european and gets black berries. They are spring blooming woodland plants and tolerate shade very well. They all have white flowers followed by berries, either red, white, or black. All berries are poisonous. I find them growing here in maple/beech forests, which tend to be very dark. They get 2-3' tall depending on species and variety. A. pachypoda tends to be taller and more upright @ 2'-3', A. rubra is more bushy and shorter and closer to 18"-24". Best bet for success is rich soil with lots of organic matter and even moisture. Some morning sun is good for vigor, especially with A. rubra, but afternoon sun should be avoided. Currently the only one I'm aware of being vegetatively produced with any regularity is 'Misty Blue'. The rest are either seed grown (and fairly expensive- it takes up to 2 year to germinate the seed and another 5-7 years to be a salable plant) or wild collected. Wild collected material should be avoided unless you can certify it came from a construction site rescue. Plant to pay $10 or more for 4.5" quart pots for A. rubra, somewhat less for A. pachypoda as it's a bit faster growing.

Both groups are easy to grow, but require some patience.

The Plant Geek
    www.confessionsofaplantgeek.com
    www.botanophilia.com
    www.facebook.com/botanophilia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting