Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crystal Lake geranium - rubbish?

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 16:12

I bought this to sit with a lilac hulthemia rose (Eyes for You) and Lambrooke Mauve polemonium. Now wondering if it might look a bit pallid. I could plant it with Red Admiral (one of those with psilostemon in the lineage) or next to a pink integrifolia celematis (Pamgbourne Pink). Have also heard it can be a bit......ratty?
Can you comment on its floriferousness and bloom times. I have been very mean with buying new plants this year so feel inclined to get the best value from the meagre few I have coming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crystal Lake geranium - rubbish?

Keep in mind that your climate is much more pleasant than mine, but 'Crystal Lake' is one of the few geraniums I have been unhappy with. It is a very slow, weak grower and seems to sulk in "heat" (here defined as anything other than idyllic springtime temperatures). Blooms are tiny, about one-third the size of 'Rozanne'. For me, it starts flowering late August-early September and never seems to have more than one flower open at a time. Not exactly a high impact plant, lol!

I bought 'Crystal Lake' for its color, but I should have spent my money on more Geranium himalayense 'Derrick Cook' instead. This one is more of a groundcover/border geranium rather than a scrambler/weaver, but the color is almost the same as 'Crystal Lake' in flowers about 5x larger. The plants are vigorous and it flowers heavily from late May through July here. If it were available on this side of the pond, I would plant 'Lilac Ice' in a heartbeat. This is a tissue culture mutation of 'Rozanne' with pale silvery lilac blooms. 'Rozanne' might now be ubiquitous, but for me it is still one of the most perfect and vigorous and floriferous and adaptable.

Let us know how 'Crystal Lake' does for you. My experiences could just be a fluke! :-)

o
RE: Crystal Lake geranium - rubbish?

mmmmm Lilac Ice.....I have that one lined up too (to go underneath a fabulous hulthemia rose, Eyes for You) but the CL was a bargain on another order.

I think it was an earlier report of yours Isphahan, which prompted me to query this cultivar.

G.himalayense.....I have none of these (nor any G.maculatum either) but now I have more space........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here