Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you blog.... what do you use to blog?

Posted by woodyoak 5 (Canada) (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 16:16

I don't blog as such but I do keep my garden maintenance manual on-line in a WordPress blog. I only update it once a year. I just started trying to update it for the changes we made last year/plan to make this year. BUT I'm frustrated beyond belief trying to get the pictures and text to align properly! (Per WordPress : The visual editor provides a semi-WYSIWYG content editor ; - Per me: Semi-wysiwyg is not good enough!) I don't remember having any problems when I first set it up but last year was bad and this year is worse! I'm about ready to throw in the towel and delete the whole thing! Is there an easier alternative site? I'm not an Apple user so I need something that works with Microsoft stuff. Any suggestions or alternatives or should I just go back to making it a Word document for our own use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you blog.... what do you use to blog?

Woody , I use Blogger ; very user friendly, various canned templates and no need to be able to write code...

o

Thanks, Kathy, for that alternative. I made some headway yesterday (after two days of frustration and not-so-helpful assistance from the support folk....!) The jury is still out though on whether I'll bother with continuing to update the site or delete it entirely/switch to a different blog site. I don't think I'm cut out for this blogging stuff, even if it's just a once-a-year effort! :-)

o

Woody, my mom uses Wordpress and had the same problem, but I'm pretty sure she figured it out. She may have talked to them. She's away for a handful of days but when she gets back, if you like I can ask her what the secret was.

o

thyme - mine's on Wordpress too. I've downloaded Windows Live Writer (as recommended on Wordpress) to get improved WYSIWYG and then ran into problems with the post not appearing in Wordpress as it appeared in Writer. I (several times! ) deleted everything in the edit screen to try to get rid of possible wonky coding. That seemed to eventually help. But I have not tried to do more for a couple of days - I need to get my frustration level down a bit more before trying again :-) (I think I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this technology....! )

o

This is off subject, but Thyme2dig would you mind telling me what your mom's blog is called. We changed computers and I lost the name of her site. I have so enjoyed it; she has a great way with words! I lost several others too, so if anyone has any recommendations for garden blogs besides Hayefield and Grounded Design, I'd appreciate some names. I'm actually more of a dreamer than a gardener so I really appreciate your pictures everybody, and your sharing of your experiences!!

Thyme2dig, I remember the Blue Heron part, but that didn't help me in the least when I tried to google her blog...

o

Ginnier, my favorite is Dirt Simple. Well written, lots of eye candy, but quite different style of gardens than Hayefield.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirt Simple

o

Thank you! I enjoyed Dirt Simple and have bookmarked it.

o

Hi Ginnier, So glad you've been enjoying it! I love my mom's easy writing style. It's A Heron's Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heron's Garden Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here