Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Answer for Japanese Beetles

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 16:42

I try everything every year and last year found the answer: 'Bug Stop' by Spectricide. I had it on hand to kill a huge invasion of Asian Lady Beetles that were coming into the house and decided to try it on the Rose of Sharon and the Perennial Hibiscus (which the J. beetles absolutely love). It got rid of them for the rest of the summer!

I also have a Paw Paw tree that they decimate each summer and it worked on that too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Answer for Japanese Beetles

It doesn't appear that this product is rated for use on plants of any kind.

I wouldn't use it for unintended purposes. Possible consequences could include foliar damage and drift onto food crops.

o

Well eric, I wouldn't use any pesticide around food plants but this didn't hurt any plants in and around the ones I sprayed and it sure did kill those little nasties.

o

This product sounds like a synthetic pyrethrin derivative and not especially toxic - but among the things we don't know are how/when it breaks down and potential effects on beneficial insects like bees and some soil organisms. Pyrethrins are quite toxic to bees, and using a product that apparently has a very long duration of activity only exacerbates the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here