Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Aquilegia tower white vs salvia swan white

miclino
13 years ago

Want a stand of white flowering plants atleast 2 ft tall in middle of front yard that flowers late spring/early summer. Trying to pick between Aquilegia tower white and salvia swan white. Any recommendations?

Comments (5)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

What are your soil and sun conditions in this spot, and what else do you have growing well in the bed? Also, can you check back to your source as to what kind of salvia it is? I couldn't find any references to 'swan white', and others with similar names include S. horminum AKA viridis 'white swan' which is an annual, and S. pratensis 'swan lake' is a perennial. For me, Columbines grow best with some shade and organic, moist well-drained soil and most salvias require full sun and well drained soil. Depending on the species of Salvia, water needs vary from average to xeric. For me, Columbine bloom earlier than Salvia, usually mid to late spring, and are finished by mid-June or so, while most Salvias start and end later in the season than Columbine, when depending on the variety.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, you are correct it is Salvia swan lake.

Spot is full sun till about 2pm and is a raised bed. I would not consider it "moist" although I do supplement with water twice a week from the hose.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

columbine has a pretty short bloom period.. unless you deadhead it.. and that can be a big job .... because each flower.. individually.. needs to be snipped off ... then there is the leafminers [which doent really bother me.. because i consider it variegation ... lol] .. and seedlings if this one is not sterile .... and is basically a biennial in my zone ... not what i would call a long lived perennial ....

salvia.. would be much easier to deadhead.. and otherwise bulletproof .... from what i recall.. havent grown it in a very long time ...

otherwise .... i dont know about your specific cultivars ...

ken

• terrene
    13 years ago

Here are a few mid-height, kind of spikey, white perennials that bloom in June or July and perform well for me. They aren't the specific ones you are asking about, but they might work for your purposes and they're gorgeous! The only drawback for me, is I don't generally care for the smell of the foliage on perennial Salvia.

Salvia 'Snow Hill' - this is blooming mid-June here -
    {{gwi:197651}}

Veronica spicata 'Icicle' and Phlox carolina 'Miss Lingard' these were blooming mid-July. That is Phlox 'Flower Power' in the background, which is also nice, and was in full bloom a little earlier. This bed had a lot of white at that time, which wasn't really intentional.
    {{gwi:197652}}

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Didn't realize columbines were biennial here so will drop that one. Nice pics terrene. I think I will try Campanula alba instead because that salvia doesn;t look like what I need for that spot.