Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trollius - slow and stately....or will it romp?

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 18:14

I rarely buy plants and never buy more than one....so when I do, I tend to baby it along till I can get a stock of seed or cutting material. Finding myself with heaps of (wild) space, in an unfamiliar garden scenario, I am wondering whether to risk potting my single globeflower at home (with all the risks of my sunny and dry garden.....or planting it in an ideal spot (moist) but still uncleared and bosky. Mostly, I am planting thuggish things which can and will hold their own until planting becomes a bit less....dangerous, but having craved trollius for years....... So, is this going to sit still, looking a bit worried by the encroaching brambles....or can it give as good as it gets. Can you comment on the vigour of this plant ( I have Trollius x cultorum 'Alabaster and not the T.chinensis).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trollius - slow and stately....or will it romp?

The Trollius ledebouri I grew from seed via winter sowing 4+ years ago appears happy where it's planted in part sun at the northwest corner of my garden. The soil is sandy loam; the plants get no supplemental water. I mulch heavily over corrugated cardboard so my plants don't compete with weeds or encroaching brambles.

According to Larry Hodgson's book 'Perennials for Every Purpose:' "Cool and wet. Those are the conditions you need if you want to succeed with globeflowers." Included under that heading is Trollius x cultorum although 'Alabaster' is not mentioned specifically by cultivar name.

Mulch may explain why I've had no issues with self-seeding. I do enjoy the cheerful blooms early in the season, more particularly because they attract pollinators and don't appear to be bothered by pests.

o
RE: trollius - slow and stately....or will it romp?

For me, Trollius x cultorum (mine is 'Cheddar'...I think) has been very slow. Even in a shady area that is almost always moist it has been weak. The foliage looks terrible after blooming, which is why it is planted amongst other things, used almost like a spring ephemeral.

It's a bit of a toss-up. Your T. cultorum would probably prefer the damp/shady area to its current home if it is that dry. BUT I'm not sure if it could stand up to more rampant neighbors. I wouldn't chance it myself, but in your situation it may prove more vigorous.

I know it's not what you asked about but...Trollius chinensis ('Golden Queen') is extremely stout and could easily contend with your wild plants. For years I stayed away from Globeflowers because the tag and book blurbs of their requirements always made them seem fussy. This guy isn't at all. It's even braved a root-y area that dries out easily. It seeds around a bit, which I am more than fine with.
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here