Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Most Wanted Plant

echinaceamaniac
14 years ago

Here is my most wanted plant for 2010...

http://www.baileynurseries.com/pressrelease/8971

That is the most beautiful Hydrangea I've ever seen!

What's your most wanted plant?

Comments (29)

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry...The link didn't work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Vanilla Strawberry

• cody_mi
    14 years ago

we have to only pick one? i have around 30,000 i NEED to have. but the hydrangeas i'm lusting after lately are incrediball (abetwo) and invincebelle spirit (pink annabelle type)

• linlily
    14 years ago

It depends when you ask! Right now I would like to add Penstemon Electric Blue to my garden. It's probably borderline in my zone and I have tried to find seeds to grow it since it might not make it over winter. But I've not been able to find seeds, so I will probably buy plants from Bluestone Perennials. Love the color of the blue flowers.

Linda

• chills71
    14 years ago

Linlily

seeds for your penstemon available below. (I've never used them, so check gardenwatchdog.com before ordering)

Here is a link that might be useful: penstemon, electric blue

• lexer
    14 years ago

I'm craving this plant: Mahonia x media, that's the larger Oregon Grape with the top-knot sort of spray of flowers.

Lex

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Oooh, that hydrangea looks gorgeous!

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Wow!, That hydrangea is gorgeous.
    Tammy

• felisar (z5)
    14 years ago

That hydrangea is definitely going on my buy list - for next year.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Looks great! But I don't have room in a sunny exposure for another H. panic. On the spur of the moment, I just purchased 2-Incredibelle Spirit, 2-Blue Bunny and 2-Let's Dance® Starlight (H. mac 'Lynn') and am having difficulty deciding where I can "shoehorn" those into the garden!
    My most wanted plants(plural!) are a short list of Hostas and a LO-O-O-NG list of Helleborus!
    I just found a 3gal. size Edgeworthia chrysantha at a local nursery and removed it from the want list.
    Like cody_mi, my list is endless, but impractical, as my lawn has almost disappeared, to a point that I can trim it with a weedeater!

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

ladywindsurfer, of your Hellebores, which ones are the top three? Near the top of my list is one called Walberton's Rosemary.

• chills71
    14 years ago

Gelsemium sempervirens 'Margarita'

Zone 5 hardy supposedly, so my zone should be no problem. (though where I'm planting another vine is beyond me)

Zizyphus Jujuba var. Sugar Cane.

Sugar sweet jujube, on order.

I've already traded or purchased the figs and pomegranate cuttings I want to root to add to my yard this year.

No more room....no more room....no more room...

Coreopsis Ruby Frost (I'll fit it somewhere)

~Chills

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

coolplantsguy__
    The Helleborus that is #1 on my list and has been for at least 5 years, is:
    Helleborus multifidus 'Eco Little Bluebird', that has true blue flowers. A product of Helleborus breeder Don Jacobs/Eco Gardens, Decatur, GA. He has only one plant and sells only divisions. H. multifidus is a difficult species to grow in this area and he sometimes has no divisions available from year to year. I'm still hopeful my name will eventually make the top of his waiting list!

Helleborus x sternii - Blackthorn Strain. Gorgeous foliage and creamy white upright flowers. Also from Don Jacobs, who obtained it in a trade from a British source.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Onyx Odyssey' Strain.
    On order, early summer shipment.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Black Diamond' Strain
    On order, shipment scheduled for March.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Apricot Blush' Strain.
    On order, shipment due next week.

Helleborus lividus 'Pink Marble'
    Still looking for an acceptable source.

There are many others on my list, including some from Josef Heuger's "HGC' and Spring Promise collections and the Winter Dreams collection from Japan.

I had thought that David Culp's Brandywine hybrids showed a lot of promise, but can't find a source listing all of them.

The hybrid, H. x 'Walberton's Rosemary' would be a nice addition to anyone's collection and should be available soon. I understand that Skagit Nursery has some in trial gardens. Hope it turns out to have a more attractive flower than the first H. x hybridus/H. niger cross; H. x 'Snow White'. There apparently were no lines forming to purchase those!

For those interested in Helleborus (and this is probably not the correct Forum for them), the linked article by Graham Rice, in a recent RHS Plantsman, features 'Walberton's Rosemary' and discusses the difficulty in crossing the 2 species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantsman

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Lady Stephanie Victoria Reading Daylily from Pleasant Valley! Here she is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Stephanie

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Sorry, she is the second one down on the 2008 introdustions (the red daylily) in the list on previous post.
    I wanted to show a better link pic to DG's plantfile pics but my post was rejected!
    Since I don't have a real pic of my own from this most wanted plant, I had to resort to a link of picture of her. lol which is hard to find.
    She is $200 for a single fan! All sold out though, and I wish I could get my hands on one! lol

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Since I recently moved to a new garden, I have a rather long plant shopping list :-) But most of them are woodies and more or less common or easily available so I'd not necessarily include them as "most wanted". One that is very high on my list of wants is Taxus baccata 'Amersfoote', which is a very slow growing and unsual dwarf form of English yew.

I'd have to say my most wanted perennial is Trillium chloropetalum 'Volcano'. It is the most vigorous, large, deep red trillium I have ever seen and not currently in commercial production. I do have a source, though :-) I had a large, prolific clump of this in my old garden and when I moved, I entrusted it to a local gardening buddy who successfully transferred it to his garden. I am just waiting until after this season's bloom cycle to reclaim a part of it!

{{gwi:197854}}

• linlily
    14 years ago

chills,
    Thank you for the seed source for Electric Blue Penstemon. You sound so much like me...no more room!

Linda

• Donna
    14 years ago

That trillium is positively gorgeous...
    My most wanted perennials this year were Helenium, "Butterpat" and Hydrangea, Madame Emile Mouliere. In order to get them from DiggingDog, I added about a dozen others... (You know, I got the best rate on shipping.....Yeah, that's what my DH said. :0)

• boday
    14 years ago

I was looking for Helenium Sahin (very early flowerer)all over the place. A local seed order nursery sent me a catalog. Lo and behold - Sahin very cheap to order. No delivery charges on orders over 50 dollars. To judge prices, they have Burning Hearts Dicentras at 10 dollars. Sometimes it pays to stay local.

• brody
    14 years ago

Clematis 'Kiri Te Kanawa.' If I could find a local source with strong, healthy plants I'd be a happy camper. I've never had good luck with mail-order clematis.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

brody, this is commonly grown by T&L Nursery, one of the largest wholesale clematis growers in our area. And it is currently still listed in their catalog. They supply all the local garden centers so it should be available in this area. Or ask your favorite nursery to bring it in for you - T&L does take special requests :-)

• miclino
    14 years ago

Most wanted plant changes on a daily basis. Right now I'm looking at Geranium sanguineum

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Double jewel

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Brody, if you can't find Kiri Te Kanawa locally at a nursery, order it from Debbie at Silver Star Vinery. She sells nice one gallon sized plants and she is on the west coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Symphytum 'Axminster Gold' remains near the top of my list on a regular basis. I had it once in a previous garden. It is a most impressive plant -- particularly if you are a fan of variegation.

• chouchou_gw
    14 years ago

Coolplantsguy,

I happened to notice that symphytum 'Axminster Gold' is listed in Lost Horizons catalog if you're anywhere near Acton, Ontario. A little pricey though!

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Yes, I believe that's where I got the first one. Lost Horizons is a great place to visit at least once a year -- just to see their gardens -- but they also carry all the rare and cool stuff.

This plant is relatively expensive due to its difficult-to-propagate nature.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see why you want that one, cpg. It's a beauty!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I can't really think of any plants other than I'd like to grow the blue corydalis successfully, I've killed at least six. Can't think of anything I want to buy.

what I really need is more room. My husband promised to cut a foot out of the lawn all the way around for my birthday last summer but never followed through....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

BorS, I've had difficulty with blue corydalis also :-) If you can digress from the blue flowers, I'd suggest Corydalis flexuosa 'Blackberry Wine' -- this naturalized in my old garden and provided a large, long blooming colony in a shady location under my apple tree. Easily the most successful corydalis I've grown outside of C. lutea.

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

That trillium is gorgeous! I ordered some different ones from Naylors this spring.
    Pam