Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

planted summer-blooming perennials already...

sara82lee
11 years ago

So my spring bulbs are out, a few blooming, and I think I got too over-eager....

A few days ago I decided to do some more planting, some summer blooming perennials that I've never tried before. Now I'm worried I put them in the ground too early, after I had some time to think it over. There are probably more than 200 bulbs/roots that I planted - peony, dahlia, caladium, crocosmia, rudbeckia, two kinds of oriental lilies, callas, begonias, a daylily that's purple. I also planted some spring ones - freesias. And, I planted some gladiolus last year that I'm now realizing maybe I should have dug up for the winter?

Did I just give them all a death sentence by planting them this early? It hasn't frosted since then, and the weather forecast which they have up until March 12, for whatever that's worth, has one day with a low of 29 and the rest of the days lows are well into the 30's, highs in the 50's and 60's. But who can predict the weather that far out anyway?

I think it would be nearly impossible to dig them all back up. Is there anything I can do? Will they probably be okay? Probably not be okay?

Thanks for any advice!

This post was edited by sara82lee on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 21:35

Comments (9)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

I would think it's far too early for caladium, callas, and begonias, but the others might just make it. However, peonies and oriental lily bulbs are normally fall planted. Where did you get them this time of year?

• User
    11 years ago

I am in zone 8. I agree with Laceyveil in that the begonias anbd caladiums may get hit by a late frost - in the UK, our last frost date can be as late as early June - however, the paeonia should be fine - they won't flower this year. The lilies should also be OK - we plant some lilies such as the trumpets and certain species in the autumn but plant orientals, orienpets and asiatics in the spring.
    Glads should be OK if you have good drainage - in many cases, it is not cold but winter wet which damages plants. I certainly leave mine in all year round - same with dahlias. The daylily will be fine. Bear in mind that some of these will not flower in their first season, even if planted in the autumn but hey, gardening is a long term investment of time, energy and money so don't fret - this is all part of learning what works for you, in YOUR garden.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

There are probably more than 200 bulbs/roots that I planted

==>>> un-confuse me ...

any greenery???

frost will NOT be an issue with a bulb UNDER ground.. deep FREEZE would be... freeze that actually goes as deep as the bulb you planted ...

cold soil temps.. will keep them in slow motion.. and they might not pop out of the ground for a couple weeks.. putting you even further into the safe time [of which i know nothing.. since my ground is still frozen ...]

there would be no FROST issue.. until they put up greenery ...

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

No there wouldn't be a frost issue until greenery appeared, but as others have said the caladium, callas, and begonias could suffer. They might not suffer frost issues, but they could suffer rot issues. Cold and damp is a recipe for disaster with many of the bulbs from warm climates - generally speaking.

I'm not familiar with growing in your zone, but my gut feeling is the perennials should do fine. In fact, I like to do a lot of planting before it gets warm. It encourages good root growth before foliage growth which is better for a lot of perennials in the long run. I would still be concerned with the above bulbs, tubers or corms - whatever you want to call them. I would dig them up and start them indoors.

Kevin

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. That was mostly reassuring. Hopefully they'll all stay under the dirt until the danger of frost is completely gone. I think I might try to dig up just the caladium and begonias. I don't think I could find all of my callas. I'm going to cross my fingers for the rest.

Oh, and I got some from Lowes and some from a local garden place. I didn't know any of them should have been planted in the fall!

Thanks again.

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

Wow lol the poster actually posted this on Yahoo Answers lol, you wont get much help their.

As I said on Yahoo: Really... don't worry at all. They are summer bulbs and will bloom early or late depending the weather. I planted some spring bulbs last fall and they are poppping up already, we are basically in the same zone (I'm guessing your in North Georgia/Alabama/Mississippi) Anyways, people make mistakes and you'll learn from this one, even though you can plant summer bulbs anytime (excluding summer) If I were you, to be safe I would try to buy the summer bulbs already leafed out/flowering so when you plant them you are getting ensured they will bloom next summer. As long as you water, feed, and give sunlight everything will work out. If you want you can dig them up but It wouldn't be useful since spring is only a few weeks away (about 3-4).

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well... I'm not nearly as far south as Georgia. I'm on the east coast, near the border of NC and VA, very near the shore. That's why I said Im in zone 8, but barely. It has been a little warmer than usual for February - really the whole winter. I have geraniums that have had flowers this whole time, and a snap dragon that didn't flower much but stayed green. Anyway, I really appreciate all the input!

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well... I'm not nearly as far south as Georgia. I'm on the east coast, near the border of NC and VA, very near the shore. That's why I said Im in zone 8, but barely. It has been a little warmer than usual for February - really the whole winter. I have geraniums that have had flowers this whole time, and a snap dragon that didn't flower much but stayed green. Anyway, I really appreciate all the input!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Ok all of you balmy climate people, keep talking. I need something to remind me that spring will come.....eventually. It's currently -20 here with 15-20mph winds.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County