Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

non photoshopped pics of new plants

miclino
12 years ago

Tired of seeing touched up pics of new perennials? Only to find out when they finally bloom that the colors are actually washed out? Aside from posters pics here on GW, another good source are pics at trial gardens such as the one in the link below. Good pics of the new sombrero echinaceas among others.

Here is a link that might be useful: trial gardens

Comments (15)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

It must be me as I don't see any reference to "sombrero" at this trial garden site. But I did notice that "PowWow Wildberry" didnt get a very good rating/review. I am surprised as it has done well for me (albeit in its first year).

• goblugal
    12 years ago

How about some Michigan Trials?

Here is a link that might be useful: Raker Trials

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    12 years ago

I must admit I do like the photos of actual garden plants with spent blooms and all. Too many catalogs only show a closeup of a single bloom which does not tell you much about how the entire plant will look in the garden. Nice site.

Kevin

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry here is the trials site with pics of sombrero echs

Here is a link that might be useful: missouri trials

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

Thanks for the redirect miclino. I am not impressed with the pictures of these "sombrero" ehcs.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I think I'll just grow Gaillardias when I want yellow, red, and orange colors. They bloom over a longer period of time and they are tough plants! I have winter-sowed seeds of all the different colors this year. The Sombrero Echinaceas are just tissue cultured selections out of the fields where they grow the seed variety Cheyenne Spirit. The seeds are expensive and hard to find this year, but I bet next year they will be easy to get. I know the Gaillardias will perform better than those, however. I've seen them start blooming in the first week of March before and they go right through the first frost.

• miclino
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My point exactly rouge! Based on catalogue pics, I was tempted to buy them but not anymore

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well is saw sombrero red echinacea at lowes and had to buy one. No idea where to put it though!
    Actually looks better than I expected
    {{gwi:198085}}
    By null at 2012-07-02

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

So much for that study! LOL. I know several people with these Sombrero plants and they all LOVE them.

• grinder12000
    11 years ago

The problem is not photoshop (well it is sometimes but why blame one piece of software when there are many many kinds) - it's that you are looking at them on a computer monitor which can have all sorts of weirdness (such as factory settings).

OWEVER - as micino - a company should strive to have an accurate photo of their flowers HOPING that the viewer does not have factory settings on their monitor. Another problem as aachenelf points out is the kind of photo - stay away from close ups. I want to see the entire flower.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

And for PA we have Penn State Trials

Here is a link that might be useful: Penn State Trial Gardens

• grinder12000
    11 years ago

What are Trial Gardens, I've never heard of this term,

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

They are public and private gardens where new plants are planted out and "trialed" for performance. Some are open to the public, some aren't. Some are at certain times of the year only.

They keep records and let the breeders know how the plants do.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

Yeah, like all those photos of Purple Prince orienpet lily, showing a deep saturated purple. Hah! Try a washed out wimpy lavender. Should be called, "Effete Heir," not Purple Prince. An reputable sellers are showing these photos, too.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

Maybe it's time to bring back the old-fashioned printed catalog? To me at least, it's always very obvious if a photo has been enhanced in any way when you see it on paper. There are some really terrible catalogs out there, but also some marvelous ones where I trust the photos I'm seeing.

'The Lily Source' catalog comes to mind as one of the better ones. The lilies I ordered from them did actually look like the photos printed in the catalog.

Kevin