Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campanula in Texas??

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 21:11

Anyone grow any variety of Campanula here in DFW area of Texas? I don't see them on perennial lists at area nurseries despite the fact that the zones indicate it would be ok...

Tempted to mail order some, as I have a new 140 by 10 foot rose bed I am introducing perennials to, and would love some blues...and this cottage look.

If you have tried it...did it work, or sizzle in the heat.

Thanks, and which variety??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campanula in Texas??

I was in Oklahoma with my daughter and was seduced by a lovely campanula in a nursery there. When I brought it home to central Texas, it died. Sorry, I don't know the variety.

o

I cannot think of any taller types which would do that well in dry heat....but there are many creeping camps (incurva, portenschlagiana, pocharskyana, pulla, isophylla, and even carpatica) which may well thrive in such conditions, although none of them are reknowned for being drought resistant.
You might try some of the adenophora and also wahlenbergia.
There is C.rigidipila, which is the southernmost campanula, growing in Ethiopia (but at altitude).

o

Ok.. Reading in PERENNIAL GARDENS FOR TEXAS by Julie Ryan, and she names C. poscharskyana and C. portenschlagiana as blooming ground covers, C. poscharskyana being the less heat tolerant of the two.

C. carpatica does well in the high plains. But sensitive to drought.

C. persicifolia is also mentioned. But peach.

o

OP again, recently i found at a local nursery three varieties of Campanula. Bought two, Campanula Blue Waterfall ( a low growing spreader), and Campanula Blue Peachbells (Peach leaved bellflower) which gets taller.
Anyone grow these here, especiallly in a hot climate?
Reviews on 'other' sites are from Alaska! And Ontario! The nursery gal said they will grow here as tender perreniels. I suspect the heat being the issue.

Full sun, but here?? I suspect east facing, west protection.

o

This is my thread to myself I guess! Bought some at lowes today. Blue clips campanula. Don't know much about it but the price was right!

o

Good luck. I saw some in Calloway's a couple of weeks ago, and they told me they would be blooming for about 2 more weeks, and wouldn't survive our hot summers. I'm in Houston. Let us know how yours do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here