Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca minor Bowles in isolated bed

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:19

Anyone have experience growing this plant in an isolated bed?

I plan to have a small bed with a Freeman Maple and a Golden Mugo PIne. I wanted to utilize a ground to fill in the rest of the small bed.

I've heard that Vinca tends to terminate at the grass. Is this true? I like that this would be an evergreen with purple blooms. Bowles also appears to be less aggressive.

The alternative is blue star juniper. Its a hot dry sandy site so open to other alternatives. Blue Star juniper is one but very boring, although fits the site perfectly as it will take part shade as the freeman maple matures. Blue should pop once the maple take on bright red and the mugo pine begins to turn yellow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca minor Bowles in isolated bed

Vinca runs wild through grass, forest, everywhere. It's very invasive and hard to eradicate by digging or poisoning.

o

My experience is that it crawls into the lawn without pausing, even with a brick barrier above ground and edging below. I have been removing mine.

o

My advice is to choose another ground cover. Lamium is great and although it can be invasive, it is very easy to pull out what you don't want.

o

Actually, there is a really mannerly and charming white vinca minor 'Gertrude Jekyll' which has the virtue of being both floriferous and reticent....not a lawn smotherer......but not totally without some attempts at takeover. A nifty lawnmower usually puts paid to world domination attempts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here