Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarmatic_gw

"Until first frost" when there is no frost

Oscarmatic
10 years ago

Some of the plants I am growing have descriptions that say they fruit/bloom/grow "until first frost." What happens with these sorts of plants when there is no frost? I imagine it's hard to generalize, so I would appreciate any illustrative examples. Many thanks!

Comments (6)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Oscarmatic,
    It depends really...

Are you concerned whether some plants will sulk without a winter break?

---
    Here we are having a freakish mild winter.
    Some cranesbill, Geranium sanguineum, justt hang on to their leaves, so do Dryoptrris eritrosora, some wintergreen fern.
    Come spring, they just will send out new foliage above the old one.

We did get few days of frost, enough to send down all leaves on the trees.

Not sure whether that helps,

Bye, Lin

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Ocarmatic, I garden in north east Crete. I have been here now for 6 years and have not yet seen a frost.
    I find that the hardy perennials, that one would normally see in a more temperate climate, continue flowering and fruiting into the winter. However, the winter winds and storms batter the plants, blackening the leaves and breaking the stems.
    When that happens, I cut them back, the same as if they had been frosted.
    I also think that they need a rest period and by cutting them back, they do rest for a while.
    Daisy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

one other thing that happens.. as winter nears.. is that the sun declines ...

and when that happens.. things also slow down ... sometimes significantly ... as in flower or fruit production can wane ...

all speculation.. i have never gardened in z10 ...

ken

ps: one might also suspect.. that any given description.. is, as you note.. a generalization ... and is.. in your case.. irrelevant .... in other words.. doesnt really apply to you ...

• dbarron
    10 years ago

To go along with Ken, either ask someone locally about their experiences...or "go where no man has gone before" and experience the shock and surprises of gardening (lol). Your experiences will undoubtedly be different than anyone else (at least a little).

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

This year 2 good examples in my garden are Pelargoniums and Fuchsias. We have had no frosts near the house and consequently both are still flowering into the New Year. It looks as if I'm going to have Fuchsias and daffodils out together this February. But, as Daisy and Ken say, the summer stragglers are not exactly in peak condition given the lack of sunshine and quantities of rain we've had.

Many plants grown as 'annuals' in some climates are perennial in their native habitats, so they'll just keep going if they don't get a freeze.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 5:01

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I really have never gardened anywhere BUT zone 10 ??
    Do have a bit of experience with light frost and a couple of hard freezes over the years . I grow mostly tropicals for this reason. If a plant is adapted to cold temps it usually MUSt have them . Eventually it will decline though sometimes it may take a couple of years . i can grow some temperate plants but mostly as winter annuals.. Much depends on night time lows ,humidity
    Generally I've found that Tropicals are far more tolerant of cold than temperates are to heat though.
    Some good examples Agapanthus ,Hydrandea ,High altitude orchids almost all temperate fruit trees Bearded Iris tulips daffodils, and most other spring bulbs
    gary