Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The "n'er do well" philosophy to gardening

Posted by cactus_joe 7b PNW (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 2:36

I find, strangely, that gardening is being like a teenager again. I remember being 17 and reckless once but living it to the full. Her I am, all grown up and approaching retirement, but behaving just like I did when I was 17, as far as gardening is concerned.

Here are some parallels:

1. It's a "do first and think later" approach to life - which explains why I never fail to bring home new plants from every nursery visit, without any thought of where I would ever squeeze any more in.
2. It's acting without thinking of the consequences. For example, growing black bamboo by the public roadside. What was I thinking. Oh, I just remembered - I wasn't thinking at all.
3. And I should mention that Rosa "Kiftsgate" that almost killed our majestic cedar by smothering it.
4. It's about not learning from past mistakes. After I battled with the Kiftsgate, and won, I clearly had forgotten the lesson learnt, and went ahead and planted Clematis armandii to climb up same tree - with predictable results. And at the same time, discovering that climbing Treasure Trove has certainly smothered one of my Asian pear trees.
6. Stubbornness is another characteristics - insisting on growing tomatoes every year, in spite of the reliable predictable results of devastating blight attacks; growing cabbage in a shady area (again: what was I thinking?)

I won't bore you with any more of these, but you see the similarities.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The "n'er do well" philosophy to gardening

Joe, that is very humorous...lol. I had never thought of that comparison to the teen years. I think we all enjoy 'growing things' but taming a garden is a lot more work isn't it? Mistakes that many gardeners make at any age. I bet you've had plenty of fun and success, too.

o

fantastic ...

though i think of it even younger.. digging holes.. and playing in dirt ... and mom bringing us lunch out in the sand pit ... so as to not lose a moment of time on a glorious summer afternoon ...

it was the lesson of digging holes.. that lead to the realization.. some years later.. that i could stick things in the holes ... lol ..

thx for triggering the memories ...

ken

o

Yes it was funny, especially number 5. Al

o

Number 1 --- that's me!

o

Ah Ken, sounds like good times and I bet it didn't involve hand sanitizer and something out of a microwave!
GC

o

ditto for #1

o

i like 5 also ... lol

microwave??? .. no ..... food of the god's.. PBJ for sure ... 365 year round.. lol ...

we ate the dirt.. to fill out our diet.. healthiest kids on the block ... micro nutrients and all .. lol

ken

o

There are way too many times that my memory is like #5. The others sound about right, too.

Ken, we ate more than our share of dirt as well. When I pull a carrot out of the ground to nibble on I remind myself and any kiddies around that a little dirt helps one grow.

o

we ate the dirt.. to fill out our diet.. healthiest kids on the block ... micro nutrients and all ..

I remember taking our first toddler to the doctor, all concerned that he was eating too much dirt while in the sandbox. And this very experienced doctor rolled his eyes at these first time parents and explained that it was probably a good idea to ingest dirt...building one's immune system. He attributed the huge jump in childhood allergies to kids *not* experiencing 'yucky stuff' while at a young age.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 17:56

o

Obviously, #5 got yanked to make room for #6. I tend to bring many plants home from nursery visits (#1), and occasionally resort to yanking (mythical #5) as a result.
Not following #2, #3 and #6 allows me the time to thoroughly explore all the options of #1 on a regular basis. :)

[My Rav has $60 worth of plants sitting in it from today's treks as I write...]

o

You described me exactly. I always say I am going to change but it hasn't happened yet.

o

So true...and very funny/clever. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here