Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusjoe1

The "n'er do well" philosophy to gardening

cactusjoe1
11 years ago

I find, strangely, that gardening is being like a teenager again. I remember being 17 and reckless once but living it to the full. Her I am, all grown up and approaching retirement, but behaving just like I did when I was 17, as far as gardening is concerned.

Here are some parallels:

1. It's a "do first and think later" approach to life - which explains why I never fail to bring home new plants from every nursery visit, without any thought of where I would ever squeeze any more in.
2. It's acting without thinking of the consequences. For example, growing black bamboo by the public roadside. What was I thinking. Oh, I just remembered - I wasn't thinking at all.
3. And I should mention that Rosa "Kiftsgate" that almost killed our majestic cedar by smothering it.
4. It's about not learning from past mistakes. After I battled with the Kiftsgate, and won, I clearly had forgotten the lesson learnt, and went ahead and planted Clematis armandii to climb up same tree - with predictable results. And at the same time, discovering that climbing Treasure Trove has certainly smothered one of my Asian pear trees.
6. Stubbornness is another characteristics - insisting on growing tomatoes every year, in spite of the reliable predictable results of devastating blight attacks; growing cabbage in a shady area (again: what was I thinking?)

I won't bore you with any more of these, but you see the similarities.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting