Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Pink lilies without leaves

paulsiu
12 years ago

Last year around fall, I notice that the neighbor's yard had these straight looking pink lilies on tall stalk with no leaves. They look kind of like they were stuck on.

Now in spring, I notice that the ground where the lilies are are sprouting leaves.

Any idea what they are? I am in zone 5a.

Paul

Comments (11)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    12 years ago

Lycoris squamigera, surprise lily, naked lady, belladonna lily. . . . and so on and so on.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah,

I notice there are several types. Lycoris squamigera appears to be the only one that may be zone 5. Actually, it's not clear to me what zone they are. Some listing say 6 some say 5.

Anyone tried growing these and how difficult are they to grow?

Paul

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

L. squamigera is an easy bulb to grow, and I had patches of these in my yard in OH (5b). But for some reason, you have to "find" them at a donor location. I've never seen them for sale anywhere. I think it's because they grow "backwards" to all of the other "regular" bulbs, so they probably think shoppers wouldn't "get it." It's a shame because I'm sure spring is a fine time to plant them. Mine were given to me in mid-summer in full foliage. The bulbs didn't even seem to notice they'd been moved and stored in plastic bags for a week before replanting, even the first year. Maybe there are some in catalogs. From what I know, you are correct that this is the only Lycoris that is hardy to your zone. Maybe you & your neighbor could work some kind of swap. I know they multiply, but I don't know how long the process takes.

Down here L. radiata is extremely prevalent, probably considered a weed by most, but it's a quite a show when they are blooming everywhere for a couple weeks.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Fairweather gardens, a very fine mail order nursery, sells a range of Lycoris. Like Colchicums, which also produce foliage in spring and flowers in fall, all should be divided/moved right after the foliage dies back. Some Lycoris resent disturbance and may sulk for a year before they pop back.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I talked with my local garden guy. He said they are available only in the fall and are quite expensive ($5 a bulb) since they are shipped from Japan. He indicate that this is growing season for them and they should not be disturbed, but in the fall they can dig up and replanted if I can convince my neighbor to give us some.

Can these be planted under the canopy of a silver Maple? Most bulbs do OK because they emerge before the Maple does, but I am wondering if it will be too dry.

Paul

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I have grown them in my garden and they survived for several years (at least until I moved and for all I know they may still be there.) So, they should be hardy enough for your garden. I really liked them, but currently don't have a garden where the color would work as it's a rather mauvy pink.

I got mine mail order, but as it was probably 20 years ago, I can't remember where. I know I've seen them more recently, so I'll rummage around and see if I can find where I saw them.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Fall is not the correct time to move them. They should be moved after the foliage has died but long before the flowers appear.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I think the shade under the maple would be too much, the leaves stay on until mid-summer. Mine were in a zero shade location. I never could get anything to grow under my silver maple and ended up putting a compost pile there.

• dalelong73
    9 years ago

People have asked where to get these. I have a big box of them that you may have. I live near Lititz PA

They are available today June 9, 2014

• lilpinkflower07
    3 years ago

Hi dalelong73.....I know this is 6 years old, but I just saw a nearby neighbor with these flowers so I googled them. I’m not that far from Lititz. Do you still have any bulbs I could have? They’re my favorite color of pink!!!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath