Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie_ia

potentilla twinkling star

charlie-ia
10 years ago

Hello. Are we allowed to put the same question in different catagories? Hope so!

does anyone know the parentage of
potentilla 'Twinkling Star'? Who was its
hybridiser? Is it propagation
protected? Is it sterile, and if so, in
what manner? I wondered if it was
polyploid, given its large flowers. Has anyone else been growing it? Is it a good do-er?
Thanks. Charlie.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi

its of no use.. to put the same question ... twice.. in the same forum ...

use google.. to look for a PPAF ... plant patent applied for ... and that will give you info in that regard .. this should also get info on polyploid info .... and breeder ....

as to whether it comes true from seed... this is a good place for that ... IF ... any of us have the experience to share ...

also look into vegetative propagation.. as in.. can it be rooted ..

are you contemplating commercial propagation.. or just for your own garden???

good luck

ken

• User
    10 years ago

It seems to be about in a lot of the bigger commercial nurseries so am thinking the hybridisers are something like Terra Nova, Proven Winners, those sort of operations. I confess to giving up on potentillas a few years ago....for no other reason apart from feeling vaguely bored.

• charlie-ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Ken. I think ive posted a blank post somewhere too. I posted this in the europe section, and hybridising.
    I cant find any evidence that it is propagation protected, and think it should be easy to propagate by division. I bought 10 roots from a wholesale place by mail order in the autumn and they didnt mention it being protected. I did intend to commercialy propagate it, yes.
    Havent seen it flower yet, but its supposed to have extra large flowers.
    My reason for the questions was mostly that I Thought it would be nice to try to cross it with some other herbaceous potentillas. a bit of background info might save some work. DG says "may be sterile or may not come true from seed" but most hybrids dont come true anyway.
    The web seems just to repeat the bit about it having big flowers on various catalogue pages from different firms.
    Thanks, Charlie

• charlie-ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Ken. I think ive posted a blank post somewhere too. I posted this in the europe section, and hybridising.
    I cant find any evidence that it is propagation protected, and think it should be easy to propagate by division. I bought 10 roots from a wholesale place by mail order in the autumn and they didnt mention it being protected. I did intend to commercialy propagate it, yes.
    Havent seen it flower yet, but its supposed to have extra large flowers.
    My reason for the questions was mostly that I Thought it would be nice to try to cross it with some other herbaceous potentillas. a bit of background info might save some work. DG says "may be sterile or may not come true from seed" but most hybrids dont come true anyway.
    The web seems just to repeat the bit about it having big flowers on various catalogue pages from different firms.
    Thanks, Charlie

• charlie-ia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

darwin plants certainly do it. Sorry for the multiple postings. Im doing something wrong.