Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Who's in Michigan?

docmom_gw
11 years ago

I've been a Gardenweb addict for years, and many of the names here feel very familiar. I'd love to meet some of you and I wonder if any of the Michganders would be interested in a garden tour or plant exchange or conservation project or marching on the Capitol (kidding). Anything to spend some time together doing what we love. I'm in Grand Rapids and I'd be willing to host and/or travel to another place. I don't have a garden worth traveling to, since I'm new to the house and getting established. I do live close to the Fredrick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, which is beautiful, though a bit pricey. There is no rush. We can plan and anticipate for years if we want. Let's just see who is close and who might be interested. Actually, my sister hosts a plant exchange near Lansing every spring. Maybe I should just invite you all there. I'll find out when it is. Probably early May.

Comments (33)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Me!

I'm in the Detroit area, there's lots of garden tours around here in the 'burbs and historic home tours in Detroit once in a while (I missed the Palmer Park one last year darn it!) - the old homes in Detroit are fabulous! (Think Fords, Fishers, etc etc)

Anyway, I'd love to meet other GW's in the area. I'd be interested in a weekend trip to Grand Rapids, maybe in mid to late summer when I have a bit more free time. :0)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I'm from Michigan and live about forty minutes from Grand Rapids. I was living in Ohio for the last several years, but the ex and I called it quits a couple months back so now I'm back in my home state. Whenever the weather decides to turn and the ground thaw, I'm going to start digging up my mom's yard to make room for the plants I'm going to dig up at my former home in Ohio and plant in her yard. I wish she had more shade because I have a lot of shade plants that I'll have to cram into the few pockets of shade that she has left.

Karen

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

get this.. i am in adrian .... MI

10 minutes from hidden lakes gardens ...

ken

• auron22
    11 years ago

Not a very active poster, but i've been watching gardenweb forums for a couple years. Don't live in michigan, rather, Toledo, OH. I visit hidden lakes gardens and Matthaei botanical gardens a couple times a year. Would love to see other gardens in michigan...but i'm 21...not sure how many people on gardenweb can tolerate a child.lol

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Oh my - new blood - all that energy and enthusiasm - auron22 they are going to just love you. Prepare to be enabled. Someone to carry on when we're all too old to dig lol.
    Jan

• jvdubb
    11 years ago

Ken I am so jealous! I finally just got to Hidden Lake Gardens last year. Wow!

I'm in Clinton Township.

I really want to get over to GR, I want to check out Romence Greenhouse, I think that is what it is called

• goblugal
    11 years ago

I no longer live in Michigan, but is anyone is in Southern Michigan, and wants to see something spectacular, I suggest the Raker Trial Gardens. Open to the public, no charge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raker Trials

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What great responses! Romence Gardens are wonderful. A bit more expensive than the big box stores, but much higher quality and far better selection. I've lived near them for 22 years and just thought of them as a local nursery. I didn't realize they were such a big deal around the rest of the country until recently. Frederick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is also fantastic. It is a combination of amazing outdoor gardens, a huge indoor tropical area, and internationally renown indoor and outdoor sculpture collection. I've not heard about the Hidden Lakes Gardens. Sounds like I need to learn more. I'm getting very encouraged that we will be able to pull together a fun, educational gathering. Please chime in with ideas of how to make some thing happen that you would enjoy.

Martha

• auron22
    11 years ago

It's funny you mention "enabled".I truly feel like i am obsessed with plants. Borderline unhealthy, perhaps.....

You need to go to hidden lakes. Very open and natural garden. Lots and lots of hills. Pretty cheap too, i think around 3 bucks? Their greenhouse is not very fancy compared to other high end gardens, but still fun. So many gardens mentioned that i have not visited. It's outrageous! Think i'll go "garden hopping" this spring all over michigan....Or take a longer trip to longwood gardens in PA...have not been there yet, but what i have found on the web is incredible.

11 years ago

i dont do all this to hide it from peeps ...

if you are ever in the area of Tecumseh MI ... plan ahead.. and set up a visit .. [do not bring your dog ....] ...

contact me initially.. thru my members page ....

link to a quick overview ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: its a very tall ladder

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Docmom, just read this over on the WS forum, and emailed you. I really like the idea of a weekend in GR, I've heard that the Meijer gardens are fantastic. I know of at least 4 other GWers from Michigan. They might also be interested in a get together, I'm going to let them know about this post. Would love to meet some of the people I've already "met" here on GW!
    Shirley, from Monroe!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,
    Is that link an arial view of your property? And is yours the one in the center with all the amazing beds? Or is that a picture of formal gardens. Whatever it is, it's incredible. What a ton of work to maintain all of that, but how beautiful.

Martha

11 years ago

now why in the world would i go to all that trouble to link you to someone elses garden???

lol

ken

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want a tour of Ken's place! When was that particular picture taken, Ken? Are you creating a park? Do you have kids or grand kids who get to enjoy all that space? I can't tell if there are flower gardens in there, or more shrubs and trees. Do you grow any butterfly host plants? Why wouldn't you want people to bring their dogs? Lol. Mine would love it there! Just kidding. I would never do anything to disrupt your paradise.

Seriously, I'd love to hear the story behind your place. Is it primarily business, or pleasure? Hope to hear more.

Martha

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

And if you are going to Ken's place, make sure you go to the bathroom first LOL!

(he did a post I think it was on the hosta forum that was pretty funny about visitors - so I made *sure* to stop at the facilities in town before arriving :0p )

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Wow Ken you must have a really strong back and impressive biceps. I hope you also have a ton of appreciative family, friends, and neighbours to give you lots of positive feedback. That's definitely more than a 'one cup of coffee' morning stroll. Admiring from afar.....
    Jan

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I've always wanted to visit Ken's place, but he kinda scares me.

Not really...lol!

Okay, maybe a little.

Karen

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think none of us can possibly understand what any of us is all about based only on what we post here. Without vocal tone and facial expression and body language, our words can't tell the whole story. That is why it would be so interesting to meet one another in person and take some time to have a real conversation. The time it would take to tour Ken's place could allow for some great getting-to-know-each-other opportunities.

Poor Ken. Sounds like we're planning an invasion. I promise not to show up without an invitation.

Martha

11 years ago

if you click my name.. you will get a brief history ...

hosta are passe' .... so when you hit the link below.. switch 'conifer' for 'hosta' ... lol ...

mxk was here.. bored outta her mind when we went into hour 5 .... lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dspen
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!! My name is Diane

Count me in!! I am 30 minutes south of Grand Rapids in a small town. We just moved there a few years ago and I am in the process of creating some new beds. I have wished I could find a garden buddy near by.

I mostly love the vegetable garden, but recently have tried to grow perennials from seeds with some success. I have no problem taking cast-offs and givng them a home till they misbehave. Its fun to try different things. The problem I have is I want to try EVERYTHING! Eventually I will have enough to share with others. I have a small nursery garden of sorts. Started from seeds last summer. If everythings comes back this Spring, I will have a nice start.

I now have my husband trained. When we are out for a drive, the car just automatically turns into any greenhouse we happen by. I dont always buy anything, but I love to look, admire and touch.

We have been to Meijer Gardens, the inside part, but never to the outside gardens. Its kinda expensive. I do plan on looking up Hidden Lakes.

Please count me in to the plant exchange or a garden tour.

Diane

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I was kind of afraid of Ken too LOL! Well, more afraid we'd get into an argument of some sort since we sometimes butt heads on the board. Turns out he was quite gracious, even when I blatantly broke rule #8 (I not only broke it I shattered it into a zillion pieces). So he's alright :0p And no I wasn't bored. :0)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Hey, Diane. Sounds like you're not that far from me. I live about 40 miles south and east of GR in a small town. Really, in Barry County, there are nothing but small towns, Hastings being the "big city". lol!

Karen

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm liking all the Grand Rapids references. I'm willing to drive somewhere, but if lots of us are in western mid-Michigan, we could pick a spot near here. I didn't check with my sister about the plant exchange yet. I'll go call her now.

Martha

Oh, I'm in NE Grand Rapids--the suburbs.

• dspen
    11 years ago

Hey Karen

I am in Middleville. Yes, there is a town called Middleville.
    We have been to Hastings dozens of times.

I am so excited to meet someone who likes to garden!

Diane

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got the scoop on the plant exchange. The hosts are OB nurses and doctors who work odd shifts, so they've decided to have their exchange on a week day when most of us are working. So, that's probably not a good option for us. I haven't looked at my personal e-mail in quite a few days, so if you've sent me an e-mail, I have not read it yet. If anyone has ideas, post them here.

Martha

• MichiganSuzy1274
    11 years ago

I am in downtown Plymouth and I would love to tour Ken's garden. I promise to leave completely uninterested spouse at home, along with my overly adventurous children and idiot dog. Even though there is a convenient Micky Dees in Clinton on the way to Adrian, I promise not to imbibe and will have no need to impose on your facilities. I am English so punctuality should not be a problem. Seriously though, I would love to meet some of my fellow Michigan gardeners. Suzy from Plymouth

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK. Sounds like we have enough interest to plan something. I'm betting spring is busy for everyone. I'm going to just pick a date and folks can chime in with alternatives or agreements, etc. July 13 it is....until I hear otherwise. It may be hot. Is that OK? What shall we do? I'd love to see Hidden Lake Gardens. If Ken wants to extend an invitation, then he would obviously get to choose the date, time, circumstances. Fredrick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture is an option on this side of the state. Someone had also mentioned visiting Romence Gardens, which is a high end nursery/retail center here in Grand Rapids.

I'll await responses

Martha

• alicate
    11 years ago

I'm in, too! I'd love to visit Ken's garden and so would my sister who lives in Lake Odessa. I live in Grand Rapids and visit the Fredrick Meijer garden each Sunday afternoon during active growing seasons. Docmom, I'd love to meet up somewhere, (maybe Romence's) and talk about a swap or something. Ohh, now I'm all excited! Today I see more grass in my neighborhood than snow. Can't wait to plant!

11 years ago

oh my .... what have i gotten myself into.. lol ...will have to ponder this..

garden tour season.. in MI.. is usually the first two or three weeks of june ... [that is when all national conventions are usually scheduled] ....

just thinking out loud.. maybe you all could meet at hidden lakes in the morning ... tour their hosta hillside and conifer collection ..... have a picnic lunch in their conservatory.. [actually the picnic benches just outside it] ..... right near their bonsai collection ..... perhaps i would come join you for lunch.. and then lead the herd here ....

and then wagon train over here.. its about 15 minutes away .... and be on your way out of dodge in later afternoon ..?????

wonder if steve who runs HL has anything to offer a group such as this ....

hhmmm ..... i will keep pondering ...i dont mind opening the garden ... but i am not going to be 'in charge' of all this .... other than to make suggestions, as i am local to your destination .....

ken

ps: it appears suzy has studied the 'contract of attendance' very well .... lol ... 'A plus' work there.. lol ...

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alicate,
    Let's definitely get together. I'm headed out of town for spring break next week, but a shopping trip to Romence in early May would be great. I'd also love to do Ken's place in June, if that works for others.

Martha

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Sounds like an awesome idea, Ken. I would probably bring a friend with me. I'm kinda (really) shy so I need someone familiar to tag along. I know of two people who would possibly want to come with me. It would be so much fun!

Karen

• alicate
    11 years ago

docmom, email me when you get back and we'll plan something. Enjoy your Spring Break!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the post, I was born in Bixby hospital in Adrian, lived in Cadmus and Addison. Played ball in the schools of Lenawee county, but left in 1954 to serve in the Army. So it is good to hear all those names again. Hunted and fished many lakes and stream while living there had to garden then but was not really interested back then.. I grew up thinking that asparagus was a cheap vegetable that grew along side the roads.