Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Need help coordinating. Mass transplanting.

auron22
11 years ago

My question is, what goes good with the plants i currently have? Willing to purchase some plants if necessary, but would rather make do with what i have.

I'm going to list all that i have. It is not too big (i think?). One list will be stuff i am able to transplant, the other will be things i can not.

Comments (8)

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are plants i CAN transplant ....I hope.

Bearded Iris (many, several colors)
    Daffodils (A lot of single yellows, few double yellows)
    Hyacinth (one or two, standard, pink)
    Grape hyacinth (only one or two)
    Ditch lilies (orange hemerocallis...not a big fan. Thinking about planting them somewhere to choke out and replace weeds)
    Rosa rugosa (very large, pink)
    Hardy hibiscus (Not rose of sharon, 1 pink, 2 reds)
    Phlox (peppermint twist)
    Raspberry (golden fruits)
    Ostrich fern (LOTS of them)
    Lady fern (a couple clumps i can divide)
    Peony (several, double pink)
    Lilac (2 french lilacs, the ones with deep puple centers and white rims)
    Scabiosa (blue)
    Oriental lily (orange)
    Sedum (autumns joy...pretty sure)
    Crocus (spring)
    Holly (2, typical holly...either both self bearing or female)
    Jacobs ladder
    Hosta (a few varieties)
    Bleeding heart
    Hydrangea (endless summer)
    Fennel (5 large ones)
    Queen annes lace (1, kind of hard to get too)
    yucca (4)
    Oregano (italian, few clusters)
    Onion (candy red)
    Coral bells (Dark red leaves)
    Poppy (oriental, red, very large. Afraid to transplant)
    Lamium (One has silver ceners with purple/pink flowers, the other has crazy silver variegation with yellow flowers)
    English Ivy (Green, viens a bit different color)
    Rhododendron (I do not know the color of flowers, it is in very bad condition though)
    Lily of the valley (white, lots)

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some i can not.

Lilac (Looks very old and is quite large, gnarly trunks. Usual purple flowers)
    Forsynthia
    Rose (I know it's vague, but...double pink flowers. Heavy scent.)
    Climbing rose (Very large, red single flowers with no scent)
    Sugar maple (2, large)

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far i have thought about planting all the lily of the valley with all the ostrich fern, I have TONS of both. I know both spread like mad...but wondering if one will be able to stamp out the other? I would like to place my daffodils with my lady ferns and hosta (small hostas) and maby my bleeding hearts and coral bells. Again, unsure if they will eliminate one another. Any other ideas are greatly appretiated!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

wow ... i know what you want to do.. but i cant figure out how to help you ...

i guess the first thing i would suggest ... is defining height of all ...

then bed depth ...

and then taking small hunks of bed.. put a tall one near the back.. small in front.. and once you perhaps define those two .. ask us what might go in the middle ...

bulbs are tricky.. in that they die down in early summer.. and you have to remember where the heck they are.. so you dont dig them up later.. perhaps grouping all your bulbs into one bed.. until you learn more about them.. would be a good start ... that bed would be planed.. in later spring.. with annuals ... that will die in fall ..

some on your list ought to simply be killed.. lol .. i dont know how hard queen annes lace is to get.. i kill them by the hundreds all summer long ... gather seed in fall if you want this weed in your garden ... its a carrot.. the indians called it the white carrot.. it will NOT take kindly to moving ....

in 5 years.. your two grape hyacinths.. will be 50 million .... think long and hard where you want 50 million of them ... if at all ...

ditch lily.. if your not a fan.. get rid of it.. you can do so much better in that plant family.. and it wont grow under your driveway.. and head toward the ditch three miles away.. google stella d'ora ... pay for a good one.. and be done with it ...

i dont understand why you want to move all the shrubs ...

anyway.. besides the list.. and telling us you have an urge to dig.. lets try to define.. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL???...

i think you are way in front of yourself ... doing the final job.. before you have done your prelims...

do you have your beds designed ..whats your over-riding design.. you need to define that.. long before you start moving plants ....

so much to think of..

if it took me until fall.. which is the next season for transplanting ... to build all my beds.. PROPERLY... i would suggest that.. and then worry about moving things then ...

trying to build and design is very hard.. one might say.. overwhelming ... and i think. that is where you are stuck right now.. eh???

ken

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The majority of the plants listed are at another house that i do not live in, but will rent out. Renters rarely take care of a garden in my area so i want to save everything. Some of the stuff listed was already here, especially the ones i can not transplant, but they are in a terrible spot. I think the owner before me was interested in gardening but just randomly bought stuff and randomly planted it.

forgive me, i did not realize how vague my question was. I'll be more specific. I want to know what plants on that list can be planted with other plants on the list and not kill eachother. Recommendations for entirely new plants to partner with my current ones is also welcome. I like the stella d'oro.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a general idea on "where" to plant everything. The reason i want to know what can survive and compliment along with my plants is because i want some wow factor. All the shrubs listed that i can transplant are at another house.

• molie
    11 years ago

I agree that it seems strange you want to move all those shrubs; along with trees, shrubs are the foundations of a landscape. I wonder how the rented house will look after you remove them ---- is it in a city with minimally landscaped property around it?

Photos would help. No one can "imagine" what you see when you look at these plants. How established are some of these shrubs? For example, "rosa rugosa (very large, pink)" --- what does that mean? I wouldn't want to move what I imagine to be a large rosa rugosa. I would definitely not move anything that is in poor condition--- this just might result in a faster death for the plant. And holly? Yikes!

Regarding bulbs, I actually moved a few hundred narcissus right after flowering three years ago. My daffodils were terribly overcrowded and easy to pull up by shoveling under and all around them. Because the leaves were still green, I just pulled the bulbs out of the dirt. I bagged them up ---- some with the flowers still attached --- and brought them into work where folks took them home and replanted them.

• auron22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The two hollies are small, about 2' high. A friend last summer was throwing them away and i decided to make use for them. The rosa rugosa is 7' tall and about 4-5' wide. Incredible plant, i loved making my own rose tea from it. It is in very good condition. I'm doubtfull i can remove it...but would like to find a way. The two lilacs are in very sandy soil. They are about 3 1/2' tall.

I am considering leaving the rose and lilacs, they can survive on their own and it probably adds interest to the house...Incredibly sorry for no pictures, unfortunately i have none. Maybe i should just look for a rosa rugosa 'alba' instead...i hear it tastes better.