Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I move/split these Shasta daisies?

Posted by tess237 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 9:35

Last year I started some Shasta daisies from seed. I put four of them into my flowerbed and they grew and were leafy last year but did not flower. Now I'm looking at the places where I planted them and I want to move them elsewhere. I can already see that they are getting new green leaves, so it appears as though they are going to come back this year. Is it too soon to move them, since this is only their second year? Should I let them go another year in their current location before moving them around?

Also, my mom suggested I split them... but again, I wonder if it's too soon. Should they be a few years old before I divide them?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I move/split these Shasta daisies?

The ideal time to divide and move shastas is right after they bloom, which is fairly early in the season. Since they were just grown from seed last year, I would wait. However, they are extremely tough, and if you really want/need to move them now, they will almost certainly survive (assuming you don't have anymore deep freezes ahead). The thing is, if you divide them now, you will not get as pretty a bloom this year. It's up to you.

o
RE: Can I move/split these Shasta daisies?

You can move those young plants around if you desire, though I'd probably wait till the weather warms up a bit. As for making divisions, do so after they have bulked up in size, then the clumps can be dug and easily pulled apart ... plants I've divided in the spring have flowered nicely come summer.

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here