Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Anyone ID this plant? [photo]

{{gwi:199540}}

I think they may be weeds. [g] I don't remember having anything that looks like that. Don't remember seeing weeds that look like this before in our yard either. Thought I would be sure before yanking it out. I do forget what I have sometimes. lol

Comments (19)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Weed. Sheep Sorrel. Runs rampant in my beds, but easily removed...if you can get the whole runner- argh!

• torajima
    15 years ago

Sheep Sorrel? I think I have this too.

If it's the 'weed' I think it is, it produced a very large, very attractive seed head.

And I believe it's edible.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

one mans weed.. is another mans dinner ... go figure on that ...

NEVER.. EVER.. let weeds go to seed .... no matter how pretty the flower ...

ken

• torajima
    15 years ago

Gotta disagree Ken, seeing how I'm intentionally replacing my lawn with 'weeds'!

Much to the the delight of the bees & butterflies...

• defrost49
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I don't think it's sheep sorrel. Google sheep sorrel for a picture. I think sheep sorrel leaves are pointier. If it is sheep sorrel, it tastes sort of nice, tart. Of course, if it's not sheep sorrel, you shouldn't be chewing on the leaves. Sheep sorrel puts out runners from which more plants pop up. Do you see any runners. I vote you let the plant grow until you know for sure what it is.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Do any of your neighbor's have a patch of weedy looking daisies? The rosette and leaf shape looks very much like the white flowering daisy that blows into my gardens from somewhere.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm...and I thought this was going to be simple. [g] Well, no I don't have neighbors that grow much more than grass. I found a few photos of sheep sorrel...link below...and I don't think it is either. The leaves on the sorrel are more arrow shaped. Well..I may give it a little time to see what it does.

Thanks...
    :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheep Sorrel

• hoseman
    15 years ago

It's a weed, but to make it interesting it could be either of these if we can only go by the picture presented. Horseweed, yellow hawkweed, wild mustard, Shepherd's-purse basal rosette, field pepperweed, field pennycress.

If you decide what it is based on roots, odor of crushed leaves, any secretions, and internet research, please let us know.

• torajima
    15 years ago

"One man's weed is another man's dinner"

Interesting enough, I just discovered that my local nursery sells sorrell seeds and they are listed as a vegetable!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoseman...thanks for taking such in an interest in identifying this plant. I just googled all the names that you suggested and I don't see one that looks exactly like it. One had hairy leaves that are nothing like this. Some had different shapes. All rosettes though. Interesting. Since it is likely a weed, I will probably dig it out and when I do I will try to notice if it has an odor or a taproot or what. Thanks!

• defrost49
    15 years ago

I'm not sure it's a weed. Here's a weed ID website that might help. I don't know enough about botany to do the checklist. Anyone else?

Here is a link that might be useful: weed identification

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

tora.. you messin with me .... lol

i have a one acre wildflower prairie .... really neat ... [that is a cute term for a part of my yard.. that i dont mow... lol ..] .. everything in it is amazing ... per se ...

i also have cultivated beds ... anything in the prairie that gets in the beds .. are weeds ...

the original poster posts a pic of a cultivated bed with nice amended soil ... and bulbs ... ergo.. the plant is a weed.... IN THAT bed ... if left to flower.. there will be a couple million more next year ...

out in a wildflower patch .. like you have.. its lunch ...

another example.. grass .. its a lawn when cared and tended in front of the house... its the worlds most invasive weed.. when it crawls into a garden bed ...

the argument is simply semantics .. most everything can be defined two ways at least ... i mean really .. kids.. either the greatest blessing.. or the greatest scourge ... depending on your outlook in life ...

anyway .. there is a name that plant forum.. and some of those peeps.. who i have never seen here... are amazing at their knowledge base ... let us know if they name it for you

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

I have a feeling its not a weed. Do you have more on the left? It sorta looks like the spacing may be intentional. Prunella came to mind on the leaf shape, but I don't think that growth habit is the same. (I ripped mine out a few years ago)

That clump shape does remind me of echinacea or daisy, but the leaf shape doesn't quite fit.

Why don't you check your garden layout maps? LOL!

Is the bed in sun,shade,part?

• Fledgeling_
    15 years ago

Sometimes, basal leaves look different from shoot leaves so it could be something you have googled even if the leaves NOW donÂt exactly match. I can say that it looks similar to something around there that I know is a weed but that may mean nothing at all. If you havenÂt planted it, well, I personally would rip it out but then again some surprises are of the pleasant kind.

• jean001
    15 years ago

It was said "I just discovered that my local nursery sells sorrell seeds and they are listed as a vegetable!"

Sorrel the weed and sorrel the veggie are different plants.

• hoseman
    15 years ago

I have decided it is horseweed,also called marestail. When you pull it up, try to get the entire root system. Horseweed has a long tap root. That sized rosette should have a tap root of about six inches.

Is that a lupine in the background?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again...hoseman, I am thinking you must be right. I noticed a few more of those around the yard and what convinced me it is a weed, is I saw one in the crack of the back steps as I was coming in the house today. Dead giveaway. :-) Thanks for the tap root warning. Yes, that is a lupine. My daughter really likes lupine, so I sowed a few milk jugs full of seed last year. I am anxious to see them bloom, since this is a variety I didn't have. Either Tutti Fruiti or Band of Nobles. It is in a bed up against the foundation of the house and they are high for so early, especially since March was so cold. There was a good layer of leaves there.

Thanks again.... :-)

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

"Why don't you check your garden layout maps? LOL!"

Wendyb, there's a comedian in every crowd!

If I didn't know some people really were disciplined enough to have an actual plan on paper, no less, I'd laugh louder. I'm one of those shameful people who thinks "I'll remember" because I don't have the boat load of plants most people have yet.

I got excited while checking one of the spots where I direct sowed poppy seeds. Then I realized I was staring at some of the thousands of little whirlygigs sprouting everywhere from the Maple trees. Yank, yank, yank.

Prairiemoon2, those Lupine should be lovely. Our groundhogs ate them to the ground...even knocked over cage to get to them. Destroyed plant and never bloomed. I'm jealous. Hope you and daughter enjoy!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I meant to say Wendy...I do try to keep notes on what I purchase and when I create a new bed, I usually make a list of what is going in it. But things get away from me. I also winter sowed quite a bit for two years in a row and at the last minute sometimes you are just sticking plants in where you find a free spot. So, I can't be certain I know what I have. I am actually pretty good about remembering what and where everything is. I have a small yard. No actual layout 'map' though. I move things around so frequently, it would be obsolete before the ink dried. [g]

newbie, you have my sympathies. We had a groundhog in 2007 that laid waste to every sunflower I tried to plant, among other things. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this year.

:-)