Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Monarch Butterflies need help!

docmom_gw
11 years ago

The Monarch population has been declining dramatically in recent years. The number of them overwintering in Mexico has decreased six out of the past seven years, and this winter there were 59% fewer than last year. The cause is multifactorial, but we can all help by including milkweeds in our gardens for the females to lay eggs on and for the caterpillars to eat and grow on. I've been growing milkweed for years, and I've found that the Asclepias incarnata, which is also called Swamp Milkweed or Rose Milkweed, is the easiest and the most frequently visited in my garden. There is also an annual variety called Asclepias currasavica (sp?) that many who raise Monarchs Butterflies grow in order to have adequate leaves to feed the caterpillars they bring in.

If anyone wanted to go one step further to help the Monarchs, you could learn how to find eggs or caterpillars in the wild ( or your own garden) and raise them indoors to protect them from predators like birds, wasps, certain parasitic flies, Praying Mantis, etc. In the wild, only about one out of one hundred caterpillars survive to adulthood. And then they have to face a two or three thousand mile commute to Mexico for the winter. So, the more we can help survive to adulthood, the better their chances of reproducing the next generation.

The Butterfly Forum has an excellent FAQ that can answer questions about all kinds of butterflies and moths. And the folks there are very committed to helping others to support these beautiful creatures. You could also google Monarch Watch and find even more info. MW will also provide you with milkweed seeds to get started in your garden.

Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear from anyone who decides to help via a post to this thread. Even a small donation to Monarch Watch or any other environmental group of your choice would benefit in the long run. Every little bit helps, and together we could make a difference. i can't wait to hear from you. Happy gardening!

Martha

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor