Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My tasteful garden design

Posted by eric_oh 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 10:13

It's early in the season, but admirers are already showing up.

photo springcritter_zps9fbdcc0a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My tasteful garden design

LOL! Some visitors are just too rude to be welcome though...

o

What a wonderful picture, Eric!

I'm assuming that at this point in the growing season you don't feel too bad about sharing your plants.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 14:44

He looks PO'd LOL!

o

How close did you get to the visitor?

o

Is that a ground hog? Forgive the ignorance - we don't have them.

o

Last year after a neighborhood groundhog got tired of nibbling in my garden he started chomping on my wooden windowsill. We had to relocate 3 before we finally got a licensed trapper to send the chomper on to happier hunting grounds. Watch out, the little devils can be really destructive.

o

I get at least a few of these pests every year. I'm lucky my neighbor has a Hav-a-heart trap so we trap 'em & relocate them to a nearby state forest.

Yes, flora, that's a ground hog, a.k.a., a woodchuck as in "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood." And give thanks you don't have them.

emmarene - you don't get close to them in my experience. The minute they see or hear you they're gone.

o

Nice pic! I hope he doesn't stay.... You've reminded me that one (and only one I hope) came through the garden last fall and left a trail of destruction. I hope he isn't just hibernating in the woods and planning on coming back once things start growing.

o

I commiserate. I have choice words for deer. My sister has to suffer with moose in hers. It is not just the eating. They can lacerate a valuable perfectly grown 5' Agave ovatifolia over night with their horns when they are rutting.

o

I spotted this beast while walking through the living room and took his picture through the window from about 20 feet away. Our Labrador (who is usually oblivious to wildlife) saw him too, but did she bother to bark? Nah.

We once had a memorable encounter in the yard between a groundhog and our previous Lab. The groundhog stood his ground for a few tense moments, then fled with the Lab in hot pursuit. She managed to give him a good chomp on the butt before he escaped into the woods.

Good times.

o

•Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 16:49

Yes, it is a ground hog.

o

I used to have the best dog in the world (for a whole range of reasons) who could fight and kill a full grown ground hog or raccoon. She made the rounds of the yard several times a day; she didn't believe it was decent to have varmints in the yard. I miss her every day, and not just for her hunting skills.

o

Caught in the act! Great pic.
We had an encounter with one in our fenced-in yard once. A wild chase ensued, me with a hose and DH with a broom. We succeeded in chasing him into garage full of junk but neither of us followed. He waddled out a few hours later. Wish we had a video.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 11:04

HAHA Eric - your lab is just like mine, couldn't care less about what/who else is in the yard. She'd probably mosey up to the critter and want to play if she paid him any attention at all.

o

Great photo.... funny stories!

Yeah, they're "cute" until they get a taste for what's in your yard.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a whole section of my Shasta daisy .... bumping against the back fence? .... then going down, down, down the hill .... to the end of the garden? What the WHAT! When the Shasta got closer to the edge of the yard, we spotted a fat little groundhog. He was racing along the fence line with the stalk between his teeth. My DH said, "Awwww....he's just taking a bouquet home to the little woman."

This stopped being cute when he kept coming back. Ate so many things. It was depressing ... and expensive. The only thing that deterred him was that our neighbors got a Jack Russell terrier a few years ago. Now we have our own puppy and he LOVES chasing animals out of the yard.

Molie

o

When visiting a friend in the Catskills we found my friend's dog, Dash (a Walker Coon Hound), with a baby one in her mouth that she had found in the flower bed -- it was a quite a largish baby, actually, but before we could ask the dog to put it down, she had swallowed it whole, fur and all. She spent the evening with distended belly, sleeping it off.

o

Oh monarda, LOL! Gross, but funny anyway.

o

Great picture, love the caption and your sense of humor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here