Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Help with Sedum Dragons Blood

brit5467
10 years ago

I bought 3 of these last year and they just sat out thru the winter. I'm ready to plant them but don't know if I should cut them back since they are so leggy and neglected looking? I've seen something similiar in front of a store in a huge planter and it had been there for years with no one taking care of it and it flourished. So I'm wondering if the leggy parts will sprout new growth or should I cut it back?

Thanks, Bonnie

PS ~ I can't get Photobucket to work on this PC so am going to (hopefully) use my tablet to upload a pic. May take a few minutes.....sorry.

Comments (12)

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

{{gwi:199717}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its a spreading plant ... and that is what its ready for ... that is what it looks like for winter ...

plant it.. water it in ... then ignore it.. but for some water in drought ...

IMHO ... never any need to fert it ...

walk on it.. drive on it.. dig it up.. machete it ..... and spread it all over your yard ...

one of the least foo foo plant God made ... couldnt kill it if you tried.. and i have tried ...

have fun playing in the dirt ....

ken

ps: yes.. you could probably root every piece that is cut off... if you wanted a hundred more ... i already see dead air roots on it ...

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx ken! You helped me out last yr and once again, ur a wealth of info.

By dead air roots, do u mean "ready to root" roots? Cuz I remember my friend "stealing" pieces from the similiar storefront plant I referenced and just throwing them in a big pot of dirt, throwing dirt on top, and they all rooted and filled in the whole pot!!! Lush and beautiful.

But if I leave it alone will the bare parts sprout and fill in?

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

Hi Bonnie! I can't help you with your sedum, but I wanted to say how nice it was to see your post. And anyway, Ken is practically an encyclopedia of (almost) everything you could ever need to know, isn't he?

I'm sorry I never met up with you last year. I actually had some Caladium bulbs I gave away just this morning on freecycle. I wish I had thought to ask you first if you wanted them. I don't have any shade at all, really, to try to grow them.

Even though it's awfully cold today, I'm glad to see things starting to pop out of the ground for me. Daffodils and tulips of course, but also the daylilies, my sedum, and the roses starting to show some life.... amazing how the weeds can stay green year - round here, isn't it?

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

sarah82lee - even up here in the frozen north the weeds stay green right through the winter, under the snow and the ice, at the edge of the driveway where run-off from the treated driveway drains away. If I didn't know better, I'd think they actually thrive in those conditions. Sigh...

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

gardenweed, I was all excited about a nice green sprout I found until I realized it was a plain old dandelion and not one of the bulbs I was waiting for!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

kato_b - my most sincere regrets at your disappointment. I've learned after years of excited anticipation not to get my hopes up just because something green pokes its head up through the soil. It's simply one of those experience things...

10 years ago

on your pic.. at 3 oclock.. what are the wispy things coming off the branch ...

had they hit soil.. i presume .. they would have been roots ...

and 'air roots'.. is just my descriptive word.. not a scientific term that i know of ...

thx for the kind words...its been a long winter with lots of .. oh never mind.. spring is almost here ...

ken

ps: i will add a story about such tomorrow.. if i remember ...

10 years ago

as far as i am concerned.. there is a red version and a yellow version ... mom had them back in the 60's .... i see no difference in them besides flower color .. and stem color ... but i never researched it ...

so i take some to my first house.. then 10 years later ... i decide to move and take my entire garden with me.. 1750 odd pots ...

so one of the pots has this in it... and i leave it on the edge of my hosta bed.. wherein i plant 750 odd hosta...

i swear to God.. i left that 3 gallon pot there for TEN YEARS .. in shade.. never watered.. never fet'd.. NEVER NOTHING...

the plant eventually grew out the bottom .. and seeded.. and now cover about 400 square feet ...

and now it is a nightmare.. that i have been planning to remove for 3 years... apparently things dont happen fast with this plant.. in my yard.. lol ...

i have another 5 by 10 foot area... that is a shortcut from the lawn to the garage ... that i walk thru.. many times a week... it always flushes out nicely.. but by late summer.. its looking pretty ratty ... BTW.. i stole pieces from the former location.. to fill this difficult spot in ... i presume.. that when the 4 feet of compacted snow on top of it ... which is the reason i picked this warrior for this spot ... when the snow melts.. it will look .. basically like yours ... this spot does get watered in drought.. due to being surrounded by cement and blacktop .. and the walking on ... but very little ... it has to look near death.. before i notice it ...

the ONLY THING THAT KILLED IT... was an elderly dog.. GRHS ... who apparently couldnt walk any further to pee ... and after months of squirting the same plant.. that plant would die in drought ... too much urea.. aka nitrogen ... so i would rip it out.. and go get another piece to fill int he spot ....

if you figure out a way to kill this stuff.. let me know.. i have a bunch that needs such..

i am sure you will have similar stories.. in a decade or so ... as your plant will be there.. decades after you are gone ... if you dont decide you hate it.. some time in the future ...

finally.. in my experience.. all sedums are the same as to survivability .... and if you ever have a problem with one.. its probably because you loved it to death.. by treating it too good... they simply never need much of anything... ever .... [fertilizing is why so many people complain the taller ones flop .... and if you dont.. they dont] ...

if you have any inclination to collecting.. and want a near carefree garden.. sedum would be the way to go .... there are hundreds.. if not thousands of types.. see link .... after establishing.. they rarely need water.. grow in sand.. dont need good soil ... never need fert ... whats not to like ;....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Plant the sedum now as is if your soil isn't soggy. If after it starts growing you find there are branches that are too leggy, then trim where needed, but I wouldn't do it now. Sedum will root where stems touch down, and those rosettes will fill in once the plant starts growing.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nhbabs....as soon as the weather round here decided whether its gonna snow, rain, or be 70*, I sure will plant 'em....lol. Damdest weather I've ever seen.

Ken....loved ur story. Now I'm not so sure if I want to 'let 'em outta their cage'...lol!! Coincidentaly, QVC was airing their Spring Fling gardening show last nite, which included a flat of sedum varieties and the guy was describing them pretty much like u did. He walks, drives, etc. on it. can't kill it! LOL

• Susan Craddock
    8 years ago

Great advice, does anyone know the name of this plant?. I have been searching everywhere for a name.