Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Need ID ~ forgot name

brit5467
10 years ago

Had this in white, too, but lost both for one reason or amother. Remind me what it is, please....thx!

Also, any tips on care will be appreciated.

Bonnie

{{gwi:27022}}

{{gwi:199818}}

Comments (5)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

It is Gaura lindheimeri. There are quite a few cultivars available, but almost all are pink or white flowering, or a combination between the two colors. They like drier conditions, but I have had no problem with regular water in our sandy, well-drained soil. they have a long, main taproot, and are not happy being moved beyond the seedling/young plant stage. Full sun; they take heat like a champ. When the flowering slows, I trim back the flower stalks and they give a few more rounds. A really nice plant.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah ha!! Guara!! That's it! THX!! And the "taproot / not liking to be moved" explains why I lost the white one. i think i let the pink one dry out waaayy too much.

And yes, I tried cutting back and got a few more rounds too!! Thx Gyr!!

Bonnie

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Bonnie - FYI - Gaura lindheimeri is very easy to grow from seed. I originally sowed seeds in recycled containers (winter sowing) back in 2009 and the plants come back every year. I didn't know they resented transplanting--I planted them and left them to do their thing, fortunately in sandy loam in almost full sun. They're so elegant & dainty + the bees are on them from morning until late every day.

As to care, I've done this much ( ) for my plants since setting them in the ground back in early 2010. They aren't bothered by pests, don't require staking (unless you object to their carefree form) and are in my experience maintenance free.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx gardenweed! Had no idea I could grow from seed. I may have saved some. I have many packets I never got around to using when I was gonna give winter sowing a try. Will have to check.

I also loved their freeform look and the bees sure loved them, too. Am so sad I lost that pink one since it looked so pretty falling over the edge of my raised bed.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx gardenweed! Had no idea I could grow from seed. I may have saved some. I have many packets I never got around to using when I was gonna give winter sowing a try. Will have to check.

I also loved their freeform look and the bees sure loved them, too. Am so sad I lost that pink one since it looked so pretty falling over the edge of my raised bed.