Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylorica

Reviving last years perennials still in pots

LadyLorica
10 years ago

With the warm weather lately I've been planning a new flower bed. When I drove by a local nursery yesterday I saw they had potted perennials (from last year, in their same pots) for 50-75% off! The thrifty side of me thinks this would be a great deal if I can revive them.

Most look root bound and have dead leaves still from last year, they are summer and fall blooming so no new sprouts yet. Should I try buying some? If so, what are the best methods to revive them? Besides actually planting them in the ground and fertilizing? Thank you :)

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would tip them out of their pot at the store .... and see if there is any new root growth .. white tips on such ...

if so.. they are alive ..

if not dead .. walk on by ...

i would also ask if they are warrantied.. BEFORE i bought them ...

once i established they were viable ... and warrantied.. i would bring them home...

i would dig a hole.. tip them out of the pot.. break the media into the hole... mix it all up ... spread out the roots on a cone of soil .... and plant them .. and water properly for the rest of the year ...

they are not children.. i would presume there is more than enough fert in the media.. and i would never feed them again ... ever ...

they need no 'revival' ... no singing.. chanting.. snakes.. anything.. other than warming spring soil ... and proper water ...

dont make this a bigger deal than it need be ... if zone appropriate.. and properly handled by the nursery.. it just shouldnt be that big a deal .... on the other hand.. if they have been sitting in the parking lot of bigboxstore... i probably wouldnt bother .. hence the warranty demand ... either they knew how to winter them over.. and will guarantee them ... or they hope to find a rube to buy empty pots of used media ... with a dead plant in them ... a good nurseryman.. would tip them out of the pot.. and show you live roots ...

good luck ....

ken

• LadyLorica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken! I stopped by the nursery again and there is a warranty on the sale plants, if no blooms/growth by this November I can get a full refund. Also there was new root tip growth so I bought a few plants. Thanks again hot the advice :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I agree with Ken - if the plants are zone appropriate, they should, for the most part, be fine. I have a pot ghetto of well over a hundred pots of all sizes (used to be over 200 - I'm cutting back, lol!) and I've gotten too lazy to even drag them in the garage anymore. So they sit outside all winter. I barely lose anything, and if so, it might be a little thing in a two-iinch pot.

Check the roots, like Ken suggested, and it doesn't hurt to ask about a warranty/guarantee. Also, do some research before you buy to see if the particular plants you want are zone hardy, and if they are, they should be fine.

No reviving needed. Just patience to wait for warmer weather - LOTS of patience this year, lol!

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Oops, we posted at the same time! Glad to see you got a few plants - I'm sure they'll do well for you!

Dee

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Hmmmm 50-75% off and a guarantee! Where is this nursery!

• LadyLorica
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Plants are at Meadows Farms Nursery in Leesburg, VA.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz