Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Trying any new perennials this year?

bellarosa
13 years ago

Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying this year. Any suggestions?

Comments (56)

• southern
    13 years ago

coneflower pow wow. last year coneflower double delight. wonderful plant. blooms low and full and forever.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Heliopsis 'Prairie Sunset' love it
    Heliopsis 'Summer Knight' doesn't bloom as heavily as 'Prairie Sunset'
    Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers' love it
    stachys 'Hummelo' love it very long blooming.
    Hemerocallis 'Fooled Me' have to agree with coolplantsguy,not a favorite

Calamagrostis El Dorado not much last year, we'll see this year
    LA lily Pavia loved it
    hosta 'Pistache' looked good last year
    hosta 'Rhino Hide' not a single slug hole in my most slug infested bed

I also like Penstemon 'Sweet Joanne'
    Was considering 'Dark Towers' maybe not now
    I'm very happy with heuchera 'Southern Comfort' but that's because it grows well here and many don't

Coolplantsguy will be awaiting your report on Guem Totally Tangerine and Sedum 'Chocolate Drop'

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Sorry, above should be Chasmanthium 'River Mist'.

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

When I stopped off at my local nursery for supplies this past weekend, spring fever demanded that I get at least one perennial (the first selections were on display). Apparently I was in need of spurge (Euphorbia robbiae). The pots are out in the coldframe awaiting planting (sometime after the current damp and then unseasonably cold spell ends).

Some perennial seeds are growing on under lights indoors (Gaillardia "Arizona Red Shades", Echinacea "Pow Wow Wild Berry" etc.). I'm sure more perennials will overcome buyer resistance as the season moves on...

• spazzycat_1
    13 years ago

I'm interested in plants that can take the heat and inconsistent rainfall.

Achillea 'Terra Cotta'
    Agastache 'Acapulco Orange'
    Campanula 'Sarastro' (did surprisingly well...most Campanulas hate my garden...not this one, which bloomed twice for me)
    Crinum 'Sangria' (purple foliage)
    Echinacea purpurea 'Fatal Attraction' (I've lusted after this plant ever since I saw it in Tony Avent's garden...not enough to boil a bunny for dinner, but close)
    Gladiolus 'Carolina Primrose'
    Hemerocallis 'Grape Ripples'
    Kalimeris incisa 'Blue Star'
    Lychnis coronata 'Orange Sherbet'
    Phlox nivalis 'Camla'
    Phlox paniculata 'Robert Poore'
    Sedum 'Lajos'
    Sprekelia formosissima

Agapanthus praecox ssp minimus
    Allium texanum
    Canna 'Constitution'
    Cardamine diphylla
    Carex morrowii 'Silver Sceptre'
    Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance'
    Echinacea purpurea 'Tomato Soup'
    Echinacea 'Twilight'
    Habranthus 'Pink Flamingos'
    Heuchera 'Frosted Violet'
    Hippeastrum x johnsonii (for part sun area outside the deer fence)
    Iris cristata 'Gene Cline Form'
    Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii 'Pam Puryear' (I might use in a container)

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure I also planted Sedum 'Lajos' Autumn Charm(TM) last year. I thought I had sworn off of variegated Sedums until I grew this one at the nursery for a couple of years. What a beauty!

• felisar (z5)
    13 years ago

For this year (2011) I couldn't resist:
    Agapanthus 'Cold Hardy White' from High Country Gardens, supposed to be hardy to zone 5-we'll see.
    Hosta 'Lakeside Zing Zang'- a white leaved hosta speckled with green - I should know better but I'm a sucker for beautiful pictures
    Euphorbia 'Jesse'

Comments on other people's selections
    Sedum 'Autumn Charm' - fabulous. One of the most beautiful foliage & foliage combinations
    Coreopsis 'Sunset'- planted in 2009, came back in 2010 & bloomed from June until I cut the flowers off in early September so it would concentrate on foliage.
    Achillea 'Terra Cotta' - I bought this late summer of 2010 so I too am interested on how it performs. Hope we all have good experiences.
    Penstemon 'Dark Towers' - Very nice foliage plant, with nice flowers & great seedheads in the fall. Needs to be planted in groups of 3 or better to make any kind of show.
    Sedum 'Chocolate Drop' - bought in spring 2010- great foliage, the color of chocolate. A must have if you like sedums.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Three more that I planted last year:

Coreopsis tripteris 'Lightning Flash'
    Echinacea 'Little Annie'
    Rudbeckia 'Henry Eilers'

• franeli
    13 years ago

New this year for me:

Echinacea 'Pow Wow Berry' and Phlox paniculata 'Nicky'.

• simcan
    13 years ago

I am trying a few, but the one that I am most chuffed about is Euphorbia "Blackbird", which I have planned to sit in front of (slightly to the side) of an established Tiger Eye Sumac that has a Caryopteris X cladonensis growing through it.

• flora2b
    13 years ago

In 2011, I'm trying hard to cutback as we will be moving in the next year or so but I've already got on order:
    Lilies - Hiawatha, Nepalense and Scarlet Delight(already have over 100 varieites.......how many more do I really need!!!!)
    Phlox - Aureole
    Aruncus dioicus
    Rose - Distant Drums
    Leucanthemum - Gold Rush
    Clematis - Belle of Woking & Purpurea Plena Elegans
    Also I'm going to take some cuttings of things I need to take with me that I can't divide or dig out.
    I'm sure my buying won't be over for the year, but I've got about 35 hybridized daylilies that will be blooming for the first time this year....can't wait to see what I've got.
    Looking forward to the snow disappearing...
    Flora

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'll have to try some of these great perennial suggestions. For this year, I'm thinking of planting the following:

-Angelica giagas - strange looking plant, but i love the color
    - Agastache, Black Adder - i wonder how hardy these are in our region
    - Helenium - not sure which variety, just love the colors - reds/yellow
    - Penstemon - will have to try some of the varieties mentioned.
    - Salvia - i have a few. looking for a hardy red variety

i think that's it...for now! :-)

• ninamarie
    13 years ago

Simcan, we had no luck overwintering E. 'Blackbird'. If it survives for you, please let us know.
    However, it is a beautiful plant with stunning colour. It looks good with everything.

• boday
    12 years ago

Echinacea Marmalade
    Echinacea Cranberry Cupcake
    heuchera Paris
    heucherella Redstone Falls
    helianthus Sunshine Daydream - dahlia like flowers
    5/6' tall bloom Jun/Oct zone 4/8 sounds impressive

Gooders
    Agastache Blue Fortune Continous bloom, goes with everything
    Heuchers Rave On - Kept reblooming all summer. Amazing
    Monarda Raspberry Wine
    Persicaria Polymorpha Great plant continous bloomer

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Maybe not any new perennials, but new combinations. I am planting red lilies with white astilbes, strawberry begonia (saxifraga) under June hostas, purple catmint (nepeta) with white phlox Miss Lingard, Madonna lilies with Therese Bugnet rose and sweet Rocket (matronalis. And lots of lamb's ear in the front edges of my borders.

I might have been reading too many English garden books, lol!

Sandy

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

I'm at the point of adding more of what grows in my yard without much babying. But I love digitalis, and the description of Polkadot Princess (from the Swallowtail Garden Seeds site) reeled me in:

"The new Polka Dot Series foxgloves produce extra large, richly colored flowers, tightly packed on 3.5 foot stems. Because these flowers do not set seed, individual blooms hold much longer than other foxgloves, the flowering season is extended, and plants live for years. Begins blooming in spring, and continues until frost. In our mild climate, that means we now have flowering foxgloves into November and December. The uniform, well-branched, plants grow to 40 inches tall. Winter hardy to zone 4"

We have a local greenhouse that will start seeds for you at a very reasonable cost, so I'll have a lot of these to test in various conditions. Can't wait to see what they do next year!!

I've added a link where Graham Rice discusses this series of digitalis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graham Rice on the Polkadot series

• kimka
    12 years ago

Purple siberian wall flower. I'd looked for seed for this for a while and couldn't find it. I've grown the yellow and loved the early flowers and nice fragrance.

Yesterday I found purple siberian wall flower in my local Home Depot of all places and grabbed a couple.

Now to see if they produce seed and come back for a couple of years.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I'm growing tough plants in mass. I know these aren't new but Amsonia "Blue Ice" is a beauty! I'm also growing Amsonia tabernaemontana and Amsonia hubrichtii. They are all good for multi-season interest.

I'm also collecting new Baptisia cultivars. I have "Purple Smoke," "Carolina Moonlight," "Solar Flare," "Wayne's World," and "Twilight Prairieblues." I want more!

I'm planting lots of hesperaole parviflora or red false yucca. I love these! I found some yellow ones and mixed them in with the red.

I planted a new rose bush called "Walking on Sunshine." Also, if you don't have "Easy Does It" rose, it's amazing!!!

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

I believe Proven Winners is coming out with a whole new series of Baptisia -- could be interesting.

• hunt4carl
    12 years ago

Reading these list is fascinating. . .I "goggle" most of them to find pictures and additional information. BUT. . .

coolplantsguy - In an addendum above, you mentioned one more
    "must plant": H. Electra. . .problem is, there is a Hemerocallis "Electra",
    a Heuchera "Electra", AND Hosta "Electra" !!! Which were you referencing?

As if overlapping common names weren't bad enough, how common is it
    to use the same varietal name from one plant group to another?

Carl

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I just bought a Dicentra 'Spring Gold'

Our weather has been particularly cold and wet this year so I'm way behind on buying and planting anything.

I did put in a bunch of new Huecheras and Tiarellas last summer/fall that are all doing well and the first Corydalis to live for me which is Corydalis elata. I've killed at least a dozen of the other blue ones in pots and the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Spring Gold'

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

I notice 'coolplantsguy' that you were disappointed with "Summertime Blues". And for me I have liked this Campanula. I have had a couple since summer 2010 and it has been my experience that it blooms all summer and into September (w/o deadheading) and it performs very well in lots of shade. My only complaint is that it can flop but some appropriate pruning does the trick.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Winners have a long flowering period or interesting foliage that earns their keep in the mixed border.

Losers might be winners in another garden, but in my clearing in the woods with richly amended soil they either didn't bloom, got mildew, or flopped too much (didn't mingle well). Perhaps in another garden spot here the losers will get a 2nd chance.

Winners
    -Japanese Forest Grass
    -'Gold Heart' bleeding heart (still looks good here)
    -Meadow Rue w/ columbine like leaves & pink flowers late spring
    -upright hardy fuchsia with tiny red & purple flowers
    -new to me cultivars of 'crazy daisy' & 'Becky' shasta daisies
    -'Stella d' Oro' daylily -larger divisions survived & are still blooming
    -Rudbeckia hirta
    -Darmera peltata - great early blooms & long lasting large leaves
    -Dragon Lily - no bloom here, but leaves & spotted stems were amazing by the patio at the end of summer
    -a few new hostas: Night Before Christmas, Guacamole, Blue Angel, Bright Lights, & Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    -Pulmonaria, long leaf pink buds blue flowers & another one had white flowers. Responded well to cutting back after flowering. Both planted in early November last year.

Losers
    -tall sedum (too much shade & rich soil, so flops here even with annual spring division & no additional fertilizer, big blooms + fall rain = flop)
    -'Pearl Boland' hardy geranium (floppy & spread too much in the daisy patch)
    -'Raspberry Wine' bee balm
    -Rodgersia aesicifolia - little growth, so giving it more time
    -Wojo's Gem & Illuminator Vinca minor seem to just sit & don't take off like Bowle's Variety - moist part shade, so must be super slow growers
    -'The President' Clematis - wilt again & again, but maybe not in 2012
    -'Northern Lights' hair grass Deschampsia - only one survived in several different large pots - rotted away in our wet spring
    -Ribbon grass by mid-August was wimpy & now is totally dormant & left empty spot
    -NOID Thalictrim moved from front to back yard in more shade & moist soil, so might be better next year. Stems weak & floppy
    -Red October hosta - too small & can't even see those red stems - better in a pot on a patio
    -Patriot hosta - edges curled by midsummer

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

In the past few years I have tried quite a number of new(for me) plants. Here are the results:

Disappointments/failures:

Leucanthemum Isstern(Ice Star) - not winter hardy enough
    Leucanthemum Gold Rush - not winter hardy enough
    Coreopsis Moonbeam - no will to live, rubbish
    Coreopsis Creme Brulee - died without a reason
    Campanula Sarastro- described as a clumper, proved to be a runner
    Polemonium Brise d'Anjou - rubbish
    Echinacea Big Sky Series - rubbish, all of them
    Eryngium bourgatii Oxford Blue - no will to live
    Euphorbia polychroma Lacy - no will to live
    Euphorbia Jessie - died in winter
    Chrysanthemum Tante Heti - not as hardy as claimed, flopper
    Campanula sarmatica Himmelsstrahlung - it turned out to be an Adenophora of some sort, running as h..l
    Geranium pratense Hocus Pocus- in addition to the fact that it was the same colour as my soil(= invisible) it died from mildew! with the speed of light
    Geranium pratense , the new double white(forgot the name) with purple eye- the doubling was hard to see and the plant was a first class flopper.
    Hosta Red October- virussed
    Phlox paniculata Silver Mine, Gold Mine- died with the speed of light , rubbish
    Gailardia Fanfare - rubbish
    Gailardia Oranges and Lemons - rubbish
    Aster Little Carlow - rubbish, no vigour, died
    Echinacea Tiki Torch - rubbish
    Brunnera Looking Glass - extremely beautiful , but died in winter
    Brunnera Dawson's White - beautiful, but died in winter
    Primula Elizabeth Killelay - died without a reason
    Campanula persicifolia - subject to rust, all doubles die for me, with the exception of Blue Bloomers(but it flops)
    Campanula sessifolia- all varieties are flopping and impossible to stake.
    Delphinium Red and Pink Caroline - died very quickly
    Papaver orientale Garden Glory - the glory was lying on the ground all the time
    Centaurea cheiranthifolia - terrible runner
    Centaurea John Coutts - described as a clumper. Yeah, right.
    Alcea Park Rondell not hardy enough, the whole series of Park varieties
    Silene Regia Prairie Fire died
    Heliopsis Prairie Sunset - very floppy, small flowers, the red markings nearly invisible compared to the pictures.

Pleasant surprises:

Heliopsis Asahi
    Salvia Caradonna(and this is from Salvia sceptic)
    Hemerocallis First Knight the longest blooming cultivar I know
    Hemerocallis El Dorado blooms like crazy
    Anthemis tinctoria Sauce Hollandaise
    Phlox paniculata Purpurkuppel the foliage is nearly like new, October the 31st
    Aster novi-angliae Wineflower the best standing up of all
    Aster Glehnii Aglehnii extremely ornamental plant
    Sanguisorba Pink Brushes very easy to grow
    Lilium longiflorum X asiatic hybrids, proved very hardy and sturdy
    Chrysanthemum Poesie

12 years ago

wiselaw....how do you ever remember all these plants?!

I see you didn't like Heliopsis 'Prairie Sunset'. Instead maybe give the similar Heliopsis 'Summer Nights' a try?

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Nighta

• miclino
    12 years ago

Trollius ledbouri: Great orange flowers in shade but not much else the rest of the year.

Echinacea Primadonna White: Good performer first season
    Coreopsis Showstopper: Non stop performance first season, lets see if it survives
    Sedum purple emperor: Finally found a place where it survives, but needs pinching and some support. Nice purple color
    Caryopteris snow fairy: Planted in fall. Foliage looks great
    Sedum autumn charm: planted in fall. Foliage looks great. Flower heads are a fantastic white cream before blooming. However I bought one from lowes and two from a local reputable nursery: the lowes one is doing great while the others have lost all their leaves due to rot. Will see if it comes back next year
    Echinacea tomato soup: Poor performer for two years and finally doing okay in part shade with richer soil.....I thought echinaceas liked poor dry soil???
    Helianthus low down: First season: Looks nice but not spectacular. needs another year.

Agastache Heatwave: Planted in August tiny starts and blooming its head off already.

Would be nice to hear from others.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

After several years I decided to throw Purple Emperor on the compost pile. It grew well, but after mid-July the whole clump just falls apart. I do not want to pinch and I do not want to support until October. I substituted it with Postman's Pride and Lynda&Rodney which are good in my garden.

12 years ago

Miclino wrote:

"Coreopsis Showstopper: Non stop performance first season, lets see if it survives"

Miclino, any special routine you will do to help "Showstopper" make it through the cold weather?

9I assume it is much superior to Coreopsis "Heaven's Gate"? I planted several of these plants and it was floppy and inconsistent)

• miclino
    12 years ago

No special protection aside from mulching. I avoid any special protection during winter. If they don't survive it wasn't meant to be and no plant is indispensable. Even with that, I hardly ever lose plants.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Interesting on the heliopsis. For me Prairie Sunset is a much better performer than Summer Nights. I planted Caryopteris Snow Fairy late summer. We'll see if it makes it here.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Rouge and hostaholic, the heliopsis was performing well and was thriving and healthy. But I generally do not consider flopping plants being ornamental. The stems were just too thin. Another aspect is, that Jelitto has released a seed strain with that name(if I remember correctly).Perhaps my plant was from such sources, who knows. In any case, the red ring around the eye which can be seen on pictures was very exaggerated in comparison to the plant I had

12 years ago

miclino, I do understand your feeling of 'if it lives it lives' but I try to do extra ie provide extra protection for first year perennials. I am assuming that surviving the first winter is the key milestone of a perennials life. They are on their own after that ;).

• felisar (z5)
    12 years ago

The jury is still out on:
    Agapanthus 'Hardy White' from High Country Gardens - supposedly hardy to zone 5s; planted 4 inch pots in early summer and still 4 inch pot size. Winter survival very questionaable
    Coreopsis 'Cosmic Eye' - most of these don't survive the winter but hope springs eternal!

Losers:
    Euphorbia 'Jesse' - died with 2 weeks
    Hosta 'Lakeside Zing Zang' - started out gangbusters then shriveled up in August. Hopefully will come back in spring. Of course expensive $$$.
    Sidalacea 'Party Girl' - this is my second try with this one and with no better luck. A 3" pot shrunk to size of a dime with 3 weeks of being planted.
    Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' - immediate death
    Salvia greggi 'Wild Thing' - plant as an annual, it ain't going to survive a zone 5 winter no matter how protected.

• boday
    12 years ago

Heliopsis Summer Nights into second year and going strong in this zone .

12 years ago

felisa wrote: Coreopsis 'Cosmic Eye' - most of these don't survive the winter but hope springs eternal!

This was my first year having this particular 'Coreopsis' and it was one of the best bloomers I had in my garden. Of course I too hope it survives the winter but if it doesn't I will still buy it again and just treat it as an annual.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I have a correction to one of my previous postings. On the list of failures/disappointments I wrote Campanula sessifolia. Of course I meant Campanula latiloba. Sorry.

11 years ago

coolplants wrote:

Geum Totally Tangerine -- will see this year

FWIW, I planted this particular 'geum' last summer and although it was healthy and grew much it produced *no* flowers until...this spring:

(It is planted at the base of a huge 'John Cabot' climbing rose):

{{gwi:200348}}

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Did anyone have their plants survive till 2014. If yes they would definitely be worth a try.

• User
    9 years ago

..I realise this is an older thread, but that needn't stop us.... I too am growing Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers'... and so looking forward to it...if indeed it's still alive....bit too early to tell here...
    Persicaria 'J.S. Caliente' is another I've got coming along... Helenium 'Rubinzwerg' I've not grown before but it caught my eye years ago in an RHS trial over here...so long overdue that one...
    Pennisetum 'Karley Rose' is another, although I have 'orientale'...
    Agastache cana/Agastache Golden Jubilee... not sure if I will like these...but worth a try... they always look nice in other people's gardens.... which means of course they'll likely drop dead in mine...

• Karen
    9 years ago

Just seeded a tray of Rudbeckia hirta 'Tiger Eye' for germination in my light stand. Fabulous flower. Rudbeckia hirta can be an annual or short-lived perennial in Virginia depending on the severity of our winters.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Please click on links for pictures of my 2 new perennial salvia for hummingbirds & butterflies recently rec'd:

Salvia guaranitica hybrid ‘Betsy’s Choice’ from Vincent Gardens in Georgia

Natural hybrid from the California garden of Betsy Clebsch, who has written a book on salvia. Similar to Amistad but supposed to be hardier.

Salvia penstemonoides ‘Big Red Sage,’ plants available at High Country Gardens

Native Texas salvia once thought to be extinct. I have just rec'd seeds from a different source. Wish me luck in getting them to germinate!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Ooh, I like those salvias! The use of non-hardy (in my zone) perennial salvias has really taken off, it all started with "Black and Blue" a few years ago, now a lot of the local nurseries are selling them and a wider variety have become available. So if I see the "Big Red Sage" I'll give it a try as an annual! I never really had many hummers in my yard that I'd noticed until I started using B&B saliva - now I see the little cuties often in the summer :0)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Growing these from seeds this year:

Delphinium Pacific Giant

Foxglove Digitalis Purpurea

Rudbekia Triloba

Lemon Mint Monarda

• texasranger2
    9 years ago

river crossroads, I've grown Big Red Sage for 4 years now here in zone 7, I got seeds from wantanamara. The plant gets quite big, about 3.5 to 4 ft tall and wide, blooms very heavily mid summer to fall and the smell is sort of like the inside of an old antique chest or cabinet wood smell. Its in my courtyard and at night you can really smell it, its strange but nice. The hummingbirds visit every evening. I started a few more last year, the seeds germinate very easily and the foliage is sort of waxy looking, nice. It won't bloom until the second year, you'll just have a rosette the first. If it gets too much water, it snakes around in a crazy way, I had to move mine which was too close to where the air conditioner drains.

• texasranger2
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They like average moisture with good drainage, mine just had way too much with that drain keeping the soil too wet but I'd planted it there because it was a moist spot and I'd read they like that. They also do well in partial sun. I sowed mine --warm temps in cups with plastic bags on top to keep moist-- in winter in a sunny window but you can sow in spring, they come up in about 10 days or so. Now that you brought it up, I decided sow some more to plant in some spots that get sun for only a few hours and see how they do.

mxk3, first year with no blooms is fairly typical for perennials. By the end of the first year you should have a nice sized plants with good root systems though.

I imagine keeping them a bit on the dry side in winter further north would be good so make sure it has good drainage. We had thick ice one year and I lost one to rot on the north side of the house.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Texas Ranger, thanks so much, will do!

9 years ago

Beautiful picture Texas Ranger. Does anyone know of salvia seeds that bloom in first year from seed. Could grow as annual if they reseeded themselves. Would seed die if winter sowed in my kind of winter.

• texasranger2
    9 years ago

Both S.coccinea (Scarlet Sage) and S. farinacea (Mealycup Sage) can be grown as annuals and reseed. Scarlet Sage is an annual here. Mealycup is perennial in my zone, the blue varies, some are lighter, some darker. Both are US native plants, very easy from seed, drought tolerant, self sow and both will tolerate quite a bit of shade or grow in full sun. I use them in some dry shady areas. They don't need winter sowing, just sow in warm temperatures. Mealycup sage is commonly sold as bedding plants, you could just pick up plants and allow them to self sow each year after that, they are only hardy to zone 7.

9 years ago

Thanks for the information. Pat

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz