Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Iberis Masterpiece...too good to be true?

I do love my Candytuft in the early spring but it would even more perfect if it would bloom for a longer duration. I have read reports that Iberis Masterpiece is a such a sempervirens i.e. all summer blooming!

Have any of you had experience with this variety?

Comments (21)

• peaceofmind
    12 years ago

I hope this is as good as it sounds and looks but I've been burned several times by the latest and greatest. Feeling pessimistic today....

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's description does sound impressive. I do notice that it doesnt seem to be as zone hardy as other 'Candytuft' in that it is listed as a zone 6.

I meant to include an informational link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Iberis Masterpiece

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

GreenhouseGrowers publication describes it as Spring to early Summer bloomer from Calif 2010 trials if that helps you at all to decide how inflated a sales ad might be :) Length of bloom could also be influenced by weather of course...

Original Author
    12 years ago

FWIW I just corresponded with a professional grower of this particular Iberis and he had it in his own garden. He relayed to me that it did bloom all season i.e. May to August. He described this cultivar as 'amazing' although there is still some uncertainty re its zone rating.

Original Author
    11 years ago

UPDATE: I just picked up one of these new Iberis. It is a Heritage grown plant and the tag shows it as hardy to zone 4. We shall see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterpiece

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Longer bloom time would be great, hope it lives up to the description.

• boday
    11 years ago

Rouge21
    I wonder if you could give us an update on this Iberis. I'm really curious about it.

Thanks

Original Author
    11 years ago

boday sorry for the huge delay in responding:

I only had one 'Masterpiece' and slowly but surely it vanished from the garden during 2012. To be honest I had it in less than full sun conditions and it was squeezed out by a vigorous mound of annual alyssum (which did just fine in this same location).

I don't think I will try it again. I am very pleased with my traditional early flowering candytuft. I love this plant for its early, very bright white and very long lasting flowers.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 7:19

• boday
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I scoured all through everyone and nobody had it for sale. I'm still lusting after the triloba that you posted. Only in Spring Catalogue, I fear. I'll wait and might get lucky locally. Ah well. I have things like Hibiscus "Midnight Marvel" and Tuscan Sun even Astrantia Venice on order. Lots to agonize over. At least unlike you we had heavy snow cover this winter, so it's all good.

Original Author
    11 years ago

OT boday but I do see you have Tuscan Sun in your order list. I had 5 of these plants in my garden last year, their first year. And as I had posted in 2012 on GW this plant is without peer in terms of number of flowers and duration for flowering...all in a compact form for a Heliopsis and requiring little supplemental water (all of this in just their first year in the ground).

BUT by mid to late August all of them were overrun by aphids...yuck. If there had been no infestation I would rate them as a perfect 10, I will give them another season hoping that first year infestation won't repeat.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 9:15

• boday
    11 years ago

Rouge

Yep, I've got "Summer Nights", also a beautiful plant and the same problem. I'll put up with the spraying to keep the plants.

Original Author
    11 years ago

And your spray regimen does keep them in check? (I no longer use anything that negatively impacts on pollinators.)

I spritz with insecticidal soap but to not avail.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 14:28

• Woodie62
    9 years ago

planted a few of these (AM sun and then again afternoon sun) and they have absolutely thrived, they were in bloom when i planted 8-10 weeks ago, flowers have not faded one bit and in fact the plant and flowers just continue to get bigger⦠wondering if at any point you need to deadhead for rebloom but for now just leaving them alone as they appear as fresh as you could imagine -- large bright white flowers covering what is now a 12" x 12" plant (started as 4")⦠maybe the reality will live up to the promise

• Woodie62
    9 years ago

one more thing, i planted the semperviren 'masterpiece' and a semperviren 'purity' right next to each other and there is no comparison⦠masterpiece is thicker, fuller, thriving more, and flowers are twice as dense/healthy⦠anyway this is working for me here on SF peninsula as well as any border plant i have

• mellodyw
    8 years ago

I bought these this spring. It's now July. Still blooming in 95 degrees! I live in Colorado. I'll be buying flats of these next spring!!!

• User
    8 years ago

I've not heard of this variety but I see it's available here too, so as soon as I see it.... it's mine...

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    8 years ago

Unfortunately not hardy here. I settled for this white summer bloomer...

Festival Star (new baby's breath)

• mellodyw
    8 years ago

OK new update on the masterpiece candy tuft We just had a 26 degree night. This afternoon I went to see how they were....going strong blooming like crazy!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Did it return for you mellodyw?

• kathy kimball
    3 years ago

Great plant not hardy in Utah. Found it works better with dappled sun. Full sun will deter growth in late summer.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022