Very fine green leaves -

jujujojo_gw
11 years ago

Lovely!

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 12:20

Comments (11)

• brit5467
    11 years ago

What is that and is that a current pic (like growing now)? Very pretty !!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brit 5467, yes, it is a current pic but it is in zone 9.

• brit5467
    11 years ago

Ahhh.....never grow it here then. But WHAT is it???!! (smile)

Bonnie

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

To me this looks like Myriophyllum aquaticum, an aquatic which is causing damage in natural water bodies in the UK after being released in to the wild by aquarists. Was your plant growing in water?

According to Wiki it is a noxious weed in Alabama, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and Washington. Never in a million years would I try to grow it in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Parrot Feather

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flora uk, unfortunately that is it, I think. I think it is considered invasive everywhere. I promise that it is not in my garden anywhere either. I took the picture in a botanic garden though. I am not sure why they keep it there. I have a question: based on your knowledge, is it allowed to be in aquarium in the UK?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

It is an offence to allow this plant to grow in the wild but not yet to sell it. However, no reputable garden centre would carry it nowadays.

'Grown in water gardens in UK since 1878, first recorded in the wild in 1960. Initial spread by improper disposal of garden and aquarium plants. Still found in some garden centres, often under one of its pseudonyms. Spreads by
    vegetative fragmentation, no seeds are produced in the UK.
    Causes flooding by blocking watercourses and drainage channels. Can rapidly dominate a water body displacing native species. ParrotâÂÂs feather is listed under Schedule 9 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 with respect to England, Wales and Scotland. As such, it is an offence to plant or otherwise allow this species to grow in the wild.' (DEFRA)

Here is a link that might be useful: Parrot feather document

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flora_uk, my question is: are these allowed in UK aquarium? Do you know the answer?

BTW, when I post pictures from travelling, I merely enjoy the plant without any intention to keep, plant or sell. Do you understand?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

jujujojo - the answer to your question was contained in my last post. Yes, it is legal to have this plant in 'captivity' but it is illegal to allow it to escape.

I mentioned the invasive tendencies of this plant because one responder appeared to admire it and might possibly try to obtain it.

Luckily, I knew this plant but when you post pictures from your travels it would be very helpful if you could say where and when you photographed the plant. That information helps greatly in identifying plants.

I cannot guess why any particular poster asks about a plant, unless they say so. Therefore, I often add information about its habits and preferences, if I have personal knowledge of them, rather than solely a bald statement of its name. I am just trying to help.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flora_uk, thank you. I took the picture in a Botanical Garden in Southern France. Sorry, I am not going to name it here.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

That's intriguing. Why the secret?

BTW it is invasive in France too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parrot feather in France

• brit5467
    11 years ago

I understood what Flora meant when she gave all that info. She thought I seemed interested, therefore she wanted me to understand about the plant's invasive tendancies. She was just sharing her knowledge with others who may want/need to learn what she has already learned.

There are waaayyyy too many invasive species being propogated (if that's the right term) due to people not understanding that they can be harmful to the environment, not to mention it's a nightmare trying to get rid of them once you've figured out you made a terrible mistake. Been there, done THAT....lol.

Bonnie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting