Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Question about bare root planting

paulsiu
12 years ago

I planted some columbine bare root. This is the first time I an planting bare root so I am not sure if I did it properly. The plant consist of a root and some sort of bean spout like thing at the other end. I planted it so that the root is in the ground and the bean spout is sticking out of the groud.

What happens now? Does the bean spout thingy get greener and becomes the stem?

Paul

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what the heck is a columbine doing with a bean on it????

no picture huh???? i cant keep track of who has what reason for relying on words..

but safe to say.. if you put the roots in the ground.. you are 90% of the way to success ... plus water of course..

and otherwise.. w/o a pic.. all i can hope is that your been turns into a columbine ... and only time will tell

ken

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it came out of the package that way with an albino spout. I assume this mean it's not normal.

Paul

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I think Columbines can tolerate some cold. They do grow on mountains. The white should color up in a week or two.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

The sprouting thing means it started growing in the bag, you did the right thing. Columbine are pretty easy from seed - if you have decent topsoil, just sprinkle the seeds from this plant (when they form later) where you want them before the winter cold, and you'll have new plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

as to bigboxstore packages of plants..

check out the link..

open package.. and put it back if its filled with beansprouts ... and ... see link within this link ..

ken

• brit5467
    12 years ago

Well Ken, hafta disagree...lol...only because I HAVE to buy my stuff in that condition due to finances (or lack thereof...lol). I've got many a great plant (eventually) from Dollar General, Big Lots, etc....in those nasty little bags with sawdust and holes in them where it's grown out of it's comfort zone, all crunched up inside.

But I feels it's my duty to rescue 'em, plant 'em, and give 'em a good, loving home....lol.

But seriously, I'd have never guessed the 'bean sprout' description was new growth but now that I think about it....that's EXACTLY what it looks like.

So Paul...I commmend you on figuring out the right thing. Were the bare roots still firm (not mushy or dried out?) and did you plant the main plant so that the lower white part was beneath the soil and the green part above? (You can sacrifice the bean sprout thingy if you didn't get that one right....wont' hurt it). You just don't wanna put too much green part DOWN too deep or vice versa...not too much white up too high. But if you DID, I wouldn't disturb it now. If it went thru living in a bag, it's probably tough enough to survive.

To be honest, I like buying abused and half-dying plants. I feel if they can survive in bad conditions then I've got a pretty good chance of not killing them....lol.

Give it love and it will follow...lol.

Bonnie

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The root was firm and not mushy, neither was the white part. There was nothing green about the sprout, except the yellowish bit on the tip. I did not bury the white part though. I guess I was worry about crown rot.

Paul

• brit5467
    12 years ago

Sounds like you did it right. I have bought varieties of daylilies like that. When they've grown too long in the bag, the newer sprouting part is often white...I'm guessing due to lack of sunlight. So I do the same -- leave it up out of the ground because in ideal conditions it would have been green...lol.

Again...good luck!

Bonnie

• greentara0
    last year

found this when I was faced with same thing. Barefoot from Vesey's. I didn't bury the sprout like growth. I had to plant quickly and as late frost is still due here (Bancroft ON 4b), I potted them and watered them and then had to go away for four days. I have returned to see three of the six with a little green top. They are under a grow light. Should I bury the remaining white sprout. and is it ok that they are under a grow light and not in a garage as someone on this discussion suggested?