Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

I am sorry I Planted Yellow Sedum

eigdeh
14 years ago

It is beginning to spread everywhere! The fact that just a dropped piece of the plant will easily develop roots makes it a good spreader.

Anyone else have a problem with Yellow Sedum?

Comments (46)

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Sedum 'Angelina' (golden-yellow foliage) is one of my favourite plants! In the right spot, it is a beautiful and useful groundcover. In the wrong spot, I guess it could become a pain in the ass. ;)

• torajima
    14 years ago

The original poster might have been referring to sedum acre, also known as 'gold moss sedum'. It can be quite invasive.

I've got Angelina, and wish it would spread more!

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Compared to other "invasives", these two sedums couldn't be easier to control -
    I never seem to lack for people at PlantSwaps wanting some of the "Angelina',
    particularly.

Carl

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep torajima, sedum acre is what I have. Carl, you think Sedum acre is easy to control? If so I agree with you that it easy to pull out, but unless you get every little piece and don't drop a sliver it keeps coming back and in new places. :C( Now it is still manageable to a degree, but I cannot imagine what it will be like in a few years. :c(

• jordan_and_slippy
    14 years ago

You should be able to 'wipe out' the Sedum the same way you can take out lawn grass: cover it up. Block the sun. Use cardboard, black plastic, whatever you have to. Sedums are succulents and love the sun. Also on that note, block the sun AND water a tad more than regular (but nothing more to hurt any other plants in the area; just what they can take). The sedum should disappear soon enough, at least by summer so you can plant something then. Also be careful when ripping it out; you're right in that each of those little pieces of plant will root. That's why I weed-whack mine yearly and rake in the bits and pieces; I'm cultivating them!

• starduster
    14 years ago

I was sorry I planted my sedum. It was purple and I kept yanking it out and finally one year I didn't see it. What a plant! I think by a point in that lifetime of the plant, I would have poured vegetation killer on it. I actually have done that to kill the ground ivy. Dang stuff still came back in 2 years. The grass too.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Honestly I like it where I planted it, it is the stuff that is growing at the base of all the other plants that I don't care for. It is even growing between some of the fieldstone's of the raised garden.

I guess I could cover the base of taller plants with no ill effects, no? Perhaps I should kill it all and plant the angelina.

• Jowz
    10 years ago

Any ideas on how to contain Angelina sedum? It was recommended at the local nursery, and I fell in love with it. But I'm now apprehensive of its vigor... I want to plant it in the 1ft borders of soil surrounding my patio, but I live in a townhouse so I'm afraid it will jump the fence into the neighbors' yards. Maybe duct-taping the bottom of the fence?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I had the Sedum acre as an edging on the top of a small bed bordered with rocks. It looked very pretty for a little while in the spring then I wouldn't like it the rest of the year. It did spread fast, but couldn't be easier to pull out. I got rid of it a few years back and haven't seen it since. It was easy and I don't miss it.

I also have 'Angelina' but I keep it in a pot. Even if one little piece of it drops on the mulch around it, it roots. I have been thinking of planting it in a bed, but I hesitate.
    Again, it is very easy to remove, and I would be surprised if it could jump under a fence. I thought just pieces of it root where they drop?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I would never describe Angelina as vigorous or a problem in the slightest. Yes, the smallest pieces will root and grow with no help in the slightest, but they don't grow all that fast. Last spring I intentionally planted a whole bunch if small sprigs. They all survived and grew, but I doubt the individual plants were more than 3 inches across by the end of the season. That does not fit my definition of vigorous. If you want to experience "vigorous", try doing the same thing with mint. Now, THAT'S vigorous.

Kevin

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    10 years ago

I don't consider Angelina at all invasive. Acre can be a bit more difficult because you sometimes miss those tiny pieces that drop off, but certainly not a huge problem. Think agepodium (Bishops Weed) or yucca if you want to talk hard to get rid of.

• Jowz
    10 years ago

My mind is at ease about planting it. Someone suggested sheetmetal flashing, which I might do if I get paranoid. But for now I should be good. Thank you all!

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

The sedum you planted, known as sedum acre, has a colorful past. Also known as Gold moss Stonecrop, Goldmoss Sedum, Biting Stonecrop, Wallpepper, and the picturesque name, Welcome Home Husband Though Never So Drunk. In Urglaawe, (whereever that is!) it is considered to be a sacred plant due to its association with the Teutonic god Dunner. Just a couple of fun facts.

You have to watch that groundcover sedum family, they can be a take-over bunch! Blue spruce sedum is another one, I use it as a ground cover under bigger sedums; and I have a little jelly-bean guy that is trying to take over the whole rock garden. I have not had a problem with Angelina yet, but it is so pretty I can forgive it, if it does.

I go out of my way to find little sedums I don't have, the hunt is almost as much fun as finding new hostas and heucheras. I love them!

Sandy

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

You could place an ad, like: Free Sedum, bring shovel.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

These plants are no trouble at all. I've never seen anything so easy to rip out if I don't like where it is.

• Tina Dawson
    8 years ago

What kills sedum

i have had it for. Over a decade but this year didn't come up. I have no idea what happened.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

"What kills sedum"

Excessively moist soils/overwatering. Sedums/stonecrops are succulents and are able to store water within their leaf structure. Too much moisture kills them.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    8 years ago

I love Sedum "Angelina'. Does it spread? Definitely? Is it easy to rip out? Even easier. And if I want to plant something where it currently is, simple dig a hole right in it and plant. It will surround your new plant, making a delightful weed suppressing mat.

Here it is underplanted with Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis)

and here it is with Coreopsis 'Zagreb' (and a whole lot of other stuff.

8 years ago

I want to replace our tiny front lawn with this. No more mowing!

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Mine were fine in an isolated area for years...but....they have become a nightmare and I pulled the all out because they hopped 20 feet and are starting to grow out of control in my grass, in my main flower bed 15 feet away from where I originally planted them. I wish I would've just used native flowers that spread like blackeyed susans, cone flower.. this gold whatever you call it is not as simple as pulling on them to dig get them out, the plant and root systems are super weak, and break easy, in areas where the soil is loose and moist they are kind of easy, but not really because so much roots get left behind. I will never plant a very ordinary superspreader that isn't native to michigan ever again, you can take a piece off this plant, throw it 100 feet, check back later, it will be a new plant. People say they aren't invasive....are you kidding me, they come from Asia, super aggressive, and can spread and take out plants, very hard to get rid of once fully established. I don't care how shallow their roots are, if you need a shovel, a hoe and continuously have to dig out new saplings each year for a non-native plant, it IS invasive.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year
    last modified: last year

If these things got into our wild forests like so many other stupid plants that you can buy at stupid nurseries and stupid department stores garden section, it would spread like crazy and out compete native saplings 100%. Im glad I'm not as stupid as I was when I first planted this piece of crap. I read descriptions that they don't grow in shade lol, that makes me laugh, they grow in 0 to 100% sunlight just fine. You can probably throw pieces it in a kid sand box and lay a tarp over it and they will thrive.

last year

You sound very upset.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

It is kinda upsetting, take a hike and and identify most ground plants you see, outside of ferns most of the plants in our forests are non-native while many once thriving, perfectly fine wildflowers are endangered because people just need to have their exotic gardens...

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I ended up doing more research on this species and it gets out of control in many areas and has caused extensive damage, when it gets so out of control in the wild the only effective solution is with chemicals, but herbicides don't work for this particular species so many areas that have this infestested it is too late and they will never be able to control this plant, so add this one to the list of invasives that are here for good, Norway maple, all sorts of mustards, purple loosestrife etc etc. Stay far away from this species.

https://bcinvasives.ca/invasives/goldmoss-stonecrop/

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I think someone is suffering from not doing any research at all except for going to sites and nurseries where revenue from certain links or sales are more important than the truth, if you tried a bit more research you will find that people have been trying to eradicate this plant in many areas in the wild but it is impossible because herbicides do not work and you can't pull millions of plants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

As a professional horticulturist, I tend to be pretty well versed on invasive species and actually give presentations on them to the public. I do not look at nursery websites to get my information

So please watch what kind of aspersions you are spreading without knowing any of the facts.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Why don't you know that people have gone on multiple eradication jounreys only to find out that the only way to get rid of this stiff on the wild needs multiple applications of herbicide, pulling them in the wild can do more harm than good because you leave roots disturb the soil, and thousands of pieces will break off even if you are very careful? This stuff is nasty in many states and in British Columbia they have tried EVERYTHING.

At some point you have to wonder, if something needs multiple herbicides, is it worth doing at the potential detriment to wildlife, rusty patched bumblebee, karner blue, monarchs and many other pollinating insects are being harmed so it is sad we have to do such careful analysis, should we get rid of things or let them be to save other things that actually belong here.

Most of this is not really the consumers fault, you shouldn't be a horticulturist to buy flowers, the government isn't regulating dangerous plants, and nurseries are greedy, and they don't even realize they can probably make more profits by not having to import so much, I mean the Michigan Lily, Blazing Star, Foamflower....so many amazing options you can't even find ANYWHERE unless you are willing to drive to a native nursery. Than they still sell Norway Maples, Trumpet Vine and other nasty crap that the state has declared invasive, and millions of dollars is spent trying to get them out of our forests. People shouldn't have to do this much research to plant something pretty in their gardens.

There is something also know as lag phase for nonnative species, many species can be contained in home gardens because they may not live close to a forest, or they live close to a forest where they don't thrive, but have the ability to thrive in a different location. In that case, all it takes is one purchaser to buy that lives near a wild area in which it will thrive. "This gap – the time between a plant's introduction and its discovery as an invasive species – is called the lag phase. While the lag phase of many invasive species is relatively short (a few years), for some plants, it can last several decades or longer."

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Good luck to Washington. I'll do my part to get rid of all of it in my garden michigan.

"Negative

On Feb 20, 2006, coastalplants from Port Townsend, WA wrote:

Sedum acre is aggressivly invading coastal strand plant communities in Washington State. It displaces moss crusts and native species such as Lomatium nudicaule and Artemesia campestris. A community effort to remove Sedum acre from Point Wilson at Fort Worden State Park is looking for more information on erradication techniques."

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Also, a horticulturalist and even botanist and landscape planning major is going to get a VERY different education and mindset than that of a wildlife biologist and forestry management major. Some are lackadaisical when it comes to nonnatives...unless they haven't read college course textbooks from authors that do not profit from the sales of exotics. A wildlife biologist and a forestry management major is much more preventive, if they see a non-native they will more likely to be concerned of it in the wild, whereas a horticulture major or botanist depending on the classes they took and books they have read, may have a more wait and see approach and still recommend the plant for purchase.

I believe, any non-native perennial that grows super aggressively in your garden, has a VERY good potential go become invasive in the lower 48 states somewhere, we have different climates, soil...eventually a fast spreading perennial will make do in the wild whether it's florida, Iowa, Michigan west coast, we have it all, it will find a place if something is sold from coast to coast, border to border.

Exactly why I can randomly take a picture of 25 random plants less then a foot tall on damn near every hike I go on and over half of them are either invasive or non-native but the state hasn't listed them as invasive yet lol. It is beyond time to wake up...in the late 1800s people were buying into this snake oil cure everything crap, now we are buying them because they look pretty but nobody knows how bad our forests are, if any of you own a Norway Maple, do yourself, your neighbors (saplings from your stupid samaras will sprout like crazy in your neighbors yards), our forests and society as a whole, and cut the thing down and replace it with a sugar maple or a red maple or something. And make sure you cut the stupid saplings off the stump for years, because that stupid tree refuses to die and those stupid saplings growing from the trunk will continously regrow for years unless you keep clipping them off or they become a new stupid Norway maple tree just as big as it was when you cut it down.

last year

I'm confused which Sedum is under discussion.

I'm not convinced that there is some magical point in time where it should be declared that no plants should move from their locations at that time. People have been moving plants around for thousands of years. Claiming that anyone knows exactly where every plant came from and exactly where it was or wasn't growing at that magical point in time which they have declared as important, is suspicious. If a plant expands its range by 2 feet, is it invading? How far does it have to move to be said to be invading? Does it matter if it moves itself, if animals do it, if weather does it, or if humans move it?

Using herbicides for this kind of thing couldn't possibly be more helpful than harmful, for the earth as a single entity. Whatever anyone else does to the single environment that is shared by the whole planet affects all of us. There are not separate environments for different countries, or continents. The environment is one thing.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

There's 2 in discussion, the Anglica seems to not be invasive anywhere (yet who knows for certain if it ever will be?) and I like the way it looks better, I would go with a different option for ground cover myself though I like how columbines and blackeyed susans can spread and they are better for pollinators anyways, you could even go with native violets and even the native succulent plant considered a weed, purslane and have healthy free salads whenever you want lol. I usually weed it but have also tried it in salads in the years it grows like crazy, very tasty. Farmers hate purslane with a passion so i tend to pull them but its definitely native to some areas in North America, evidence before Columbus in Ontario so probably was in Michigan who knows if it's the same stuff that grows as a weed here.

The goldmoss stonecrop can be depending on where you live, the folks at Washington seem to think it likes sandy soils especially near the coast best, so it has a good chance to become invasive in the sleeping bear dunes national shoreline forests f given the opportunity.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

The problem when nonnatives become invasive can have a chain reaction negative effect on food production (some have caused huge reductions in yields each year), other plants, insects, amphibians, lizards, birds, mammals, so just because we have been doing hurtful things for thousands of years doesn't mean we should continuously do things that can potentially be harmful today, especially when we know better, the science is there yet greedy companies pretend it's not for profits and take advantage of consumers. Ask any farmer, wildlife biologist, forest manager what they think of invasives, how destructive they can be and how easy things we do can slow the spread and even prevent them from becoming a problem.

last year

Obviously people have not been using chemical 'cides for thousands of years because they did not exist until very recently, in modern times.

Yes, I'm aware of the argument for static ecosystems, and the theory that some plants "should" be prevented from growing in some places, just not convinced that's the correct goal. Are things evolving, or should they never change? What is the point in time when it was declared that no plants should move from their current locations at that time? Who made that decision and why?

I'm open to gathering more info but I'm not yet convinced that there is any inherent harm in plants doing what they do - growing where they can. I reject the premise that inconvenience to the goals of humans is a valid reason for spraying poisons over large areas. That can't possible be beneficial to insects, amphibians, lizards, birds, mammals.

What kinds of greedy companies are you referring to? Greedy companies such as those that tell people that edible plants are weeds that should be sprayed with their product? Such as those that tell people they need to buy every bite of food at a store because their property should only be used to cultivate a monoculture of grass, with purchased sod, seed, equipment, fuel, and applications of more products? Greedy companies that tell people there's no need to work hard pulling weeds, just spray their chemicals on any unwanted plant?

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I also plant a lot of nonnative annuals so I'm not against all nonnatives, I just now refuse to plant anything that i think may cause a problem to the environment I enjoy.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Have you read up on any research on any of the invasives that I listed? If we continue planting norway maples for example, the maple syrup industry could go belly up and SEVERAL maple trees that belong in North America will become extinct lol. The sugar maple has the highest yield of syrup and the highest sugar content. It's just like any other invasive species that is causing destruction to our environment, emerald ash borer do what they do, and it's fine where they are native because ash trees have built a defense there, in the US they don't so all of the ash trees are dying. Aleswife do what they do in the great lakes but they account for 60% of all fish in the great lakes and litter beaches with their carcasses making the beaches gross and killed off many native fishes. When an invasive species from Africa causes a 50% yield reduction in soybean or corn do you think that's a good thing? When native plants become extinct that native pollinators depend on die is that okay because plants are doing their thing? It sounds like you have just a tad bit or research to do.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I also don't use cides products but they are needed to save ash trees as well as to contain purple loosestrife in areas where cattails are becoming extinct. Purple loosestrife and norway maple are perfect examples of a chain of negative effects on not only native plants, but economic damage and damage to animals.

last year

Yes, there are plenty of examples of things changing. If there was no 'cide to kill those things, would it still be a thing about which people are concerned? Is it possible that some greedy company told you it was a problem so you'd buy a bunch of their 'cide?

All of your examples of why those things are bad, and not just evolution or progress, rely on first accepting that there was a date in the past when it was declared that no plant could move, and those that moved very successfully after that date are said to be invasive.

Are things evolving or should they never change? Whenever humans are intervening in nature, they claim they are doing it "for the best" but so often, there are unintended consequences. Arrogance seems to win over humility too often.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Well I like lions, and those cute pandas, komodo dragons are my fave looking lizard lets just let a breeding population out of our zoos and see what happens sound good?

last year

I'm not sure you're trying to have an actual discussion.

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I would be you chalk up an entire body of science that biologists have dedicated their entire lives to without any corporate funding to their research as, "greedy corporations telling them to use their products" similar how flat earthers say geologists are government pawns.

last year

That comment was another example of greedy companies, to add to your mention of greedy companies, within the context of a much more complex post that I don't believe you have truncated accurately.

It's hard to have a conversation if inaccurately characterized, and the reply is to that mischaracterization instead of what was actually said.

I'm sure you can do better!

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

Maybe i will evovle tomorrow lol...

• Matthew Roberts
    last year

I will only update here if i continue having issues with sedum acre but i think cardboard and mulch over will be more than sufficient, and pulling a few plants growing underneath things and near plants i didnt want to put a lot if cardboard under so they can spread.

Make sure to rip off any platic tape if you use cardboard. Newspaper and those huge paper bags you can get at garden and department stores like lowes and menards work great if you dont wanna rip off the plastics, i bet you will need at least 3 layers of newspapers for this stuff. The tape will be in the soil for who knows how long. (If you use cardboard with pastic tape), I dig up plastics in my garden that look brand new that mustve been there before 1992 when the house was built or around that time, really deep.

• HU-772799512
    11 months ago

Yes in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. I believe it crept into my yard and it is all over my yard now. When I hit it with a lawn mower it makes a cloud and nearly makes me unable to breath. I would like to remove it all from my lawn and neighboring lawns, but that is an enormous task, so in the meantime I wear a mask with filters which I purchased. from Menards

• Matthew Roberts
    10 months ago

Man that really sucks, but mowing over it will actually make it worse because of the plants ability to take root from single pieces of plants, even a single needle can become a separate plant. A lot of succulents are able to do this quite easily. I still have the stuff growing back, but most of it is growing underneath bushes and other plants and just pull it when I notice it. I got rid of periwinkle the same year, 2 years ago, both have a few plants popping up here and there my next door neighbor planted English ivy, and it is spreading into my yard, I'm going to ask him if I can pull it eventually and offer to plant an alternative that isn't such a destructive plant. English ivy in Michigan isn't usually so bad because of the winters here, but a few warm winters and it could become much more invasive.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County