Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am sorry I Planted Yellow Sedum

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 14:07

It is beginning to spread everywhere! The fact that just a dropped piece of the plant will easily develop roots makes it a good spreader.

Anyone else have a problem with Yellow Sedum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am sorry I Planted Yellow Sedum

Sedum 'Angelina' (golden-yellow foliage) is one of my favourite plants! In the right spot, it is a beautiful and useful groundcover. In the wrong spot, I guess it could become a pain in the ass. ;)

o

The original poster might have been referring to sedum acre, also known as 'gold moss sedum'. It can be quite invasive.

I've got Angelina, and wish it would spread more!

o

Compared to other "invasives", these two sedums couldn't be easier to control -
I never seem to lack for people at PlantSwaps wanting some of the "Angelina',
particularly.

Carl

o

Yep torajima, sedum acre is what I have. Carl, you think Sedum acre is easy to control? If so I agree with you that it easy to pull out, but unless you get every little piece and don't drop a sliver it keeps coming back and in new places. :C( Now it is still manageable to a degree, but I cannot imagine what it will be like in a few years. :c(

o

You should be able to 'wipe out' the Sedum the same way you can take out lawn grass: cover it up. Block the sun. Use cardboard, black plastic, whatever you have to. Sedums are succulents and love the sun. Also on that note, block the sun AND water a tad more than regular (but nothing more to hurt any other plants in the area; just what they can take). The sedum should disappear soon enough, at least by summer so you can plant something then. Also be careful when ripping it out; you're right in that each of those little pieces of plant will root. That's why I weed-whack mine yearly and rake in the bits and pieces; I'm cultivating them!

o

I was sorry I planted my sedum. It was purple and I kept yanking it out and finally one year I didn't see it. What a plant! I think by a point in that lifetime of the plant, I would have poured vegetation killer on it. I actually have done that to kill the ground ivy. Dang stuff still came back in 2 years. The grass too.

o

Honestly I like it where I planted it, it is the stuff that is growing at the base of all the other plants that I don't care for. It is even growing between some of the fieldstone's of the raised garden.

I guess I could cover the base of taller plants with no ill effects, no? Perhaps I should kill it all and plant the angelina.

o

• Posted by Jowz 6B Northern VA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 10:46

Any ideas on how to contain Angelina sedum? It was recommended at the local nursery, and I fell in love with it. But I'm now apprehensive of its vigor... I want to plant it in the 1ft borders of soil surrounding my patio, but I live in a townhouse so I'm afraid it will jump the fence into the neighbors' yards. Maybe duct-taping the bottom of the fence?

o

I had the Sedum acre as an edging on the top of a small bed bordered with rocks. It looked very pretty for a little while in the spring then I wouldn't like it the rest of the year. It did spread fast, but couldn't be easier to pull out. I got rid of it a few years back and haven't seen it since. It was easy and I don't miss it.

I also have 'Angelina' but I keep it in a pot. Even if one little piece of it drops on the mulch around it, it roots. I have been thinking of planting it in a bed, but I hesitate.
Again, it is very easy to remove, and I would be surprised if it could jump under a fence. I thought just pieces of it root where they drop?

o

I would never describe Angelina as vigorous or a problem in the slightest. Yes, the smallest pieces will root and grow with no help in the slightest, but they don't grow all that fast. Last spring I intentionally planted a whole bunch if small sprigs. They all survived and grew, but I doubt the individual plants were more than 3 inches across by the end of the season. That does not fit my definition of vigorous. If you want to experience "vigorous", try doing the same thing with mint. Now, THAT'S vigorous.

Kevin

o

I don't consider Angelina at all invasive. Acre can be a bit more difficult because you sometimes miss those tiny pieces that drop off, but certainly not a huge problem. Think agepodium (Bishops Weed) or yucca if you want to talk hard to get rid of.

o

• Posted by Jowz 6B Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:53

My mind is at ease about planting it. Someone suggested sheetmetal flashing, which I might do if I get paranoid. But for now I should be good. Thank you all!

o

The sedum you planted, known as sedum acre, has a colorful past. Also known as Gold moss Stonecrop, Goldmoss Sedum, Biting Stonecrop, Wallpepper, and the picturesque name, Welcome Home Husband Though Never So Drunk. In Urglaawe, (whereever that is!) it is considered to be a sacred plant due to its association with the Teutonic god Dunner. Just a couple of fun facts.

You have to watch that groundcover sedum family, they can be a take-over bunch! Blue spruce sedum is another one, I use it as a ground cover under bigger sedums; and I have a little jelly-bean guy that is trying to take over the whole rock garden. I have not had a problem with Angelina yet, but it is so pretty I can forgive it, if it does.

I go out of my way to find little sedums I don't have, the hunt is almost as much fun as finding new hostas and heucheras. I love them!

Sandy

o

You could place an ad, like: Free Sedum, bring shovel.

o

These plants are no trouble at all. I've never seen anything so easy to rip out if I don't like where it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here