Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Helenium 'Mardi Gras' come true from seed?

Posted by antonia923 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 14:11

I have a halo of what appear to be seedlings around the mother plant coming up, and not sure whether to pluck or transplant. Am happy to let a few grow to see what happens, but was wondering what your experience was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Helenium 'Mardi Gras' come true from seed?

I did a search and came up with varying answers. Several sites said either that it was sterile and did not set seed (appears to be incorrect as you have seedlings) or was best propagated by cuttings or divisions. Another site mentioned propagation by seed. I hope someone else chimes in as this was one I was planning to try. If you leave some let us know.

o

I don't know about 'Mardi Gras', but I have what they call 'Red Shades' (how generic) and I've had a lot of reseeding. Some of the plants looked similar to the originals, but most were varied in color from solid red to solid yellow, and any mix of red, yellow and orange splashed in the petals. So, your seedlings could very well be the same way. But you won't know until they flower. Mine flowered their first year, so yours may too. I suppose, if you don't like a certain color you can always pull out that particular plant while in bloom. The plants are easy to pull out when young.

Karen

o

Most varieties of Helenium are what I call "hybrid-clones" and should be propagated asexually/vegetatively to remain "true-to-name". There are a few seed-strains, and they are generally variable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here