Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lamb's Ears spring maintenance...cut back?

Posted by digginginthedirt z6 Lanc. PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 14:16

Now that I am retired, I want to take better care of my garden. My lamb's ears tend to look ratty, and I noticed yesterday as I was cleaning the bed that most of the plant looks dead. That may be normal, but since I have never worked outside this early in the spring before, I don't have any comparison.

I did a quick search online, and read that in the spring you are supposed to cut back the plants to very close to the ground. Is this what you do?

Maybe this is why mine always look bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lamb's Ears spring maintenance...cut back?

first off.. you can do a lot of damage being out too early ...

especially if you are walking in your beds.. making concrete out of your soil ...

second.. if you have more than one.. experiment.. you are more likely to remember... if you try different methods..

third.. get down there.. and look to see if there are buds down low.. if so ... off with their heads ... all the power to the buds ...

if you dont see them.. and your research already said to do it.. perhaps you are out too early ... but it wont matter.. just do it ...

and really.. the name of the plant doesnt matter ... just about everything goes low in early spring ....

[of which we will now get a list of those that shouldnt.. lol ... but i am devious that way .. lol ...]

ken

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 0:50

I don't prune so much as groom. I just pull off the old ratty stuff - if you wait until this time of the year (opposed to the fall), it pulls right off/out with a good yank. Or you can use pruners if you want to be more delicate about it. Just cut or yank. No need to be fussy with these, they'll be fine - if any gets uprooted just tamp it back into place.

o

Had a garden with a large patch of lamb's ear right by the front door.

Removed the flower spikes after flowering and it looked OK after that.

I never leave garden clean up till the next spring.

o

I do what mxk3 does. Spring clean-up by pulling the dead stuff off, except if I uproot some they go in the compost...they're spreading too much for me. These are tough plants and they can take quite a bit.

tj

o

I don't do spring clean-up at all. In the very late fall I cut everything down. Some I do by hand and some I just mow. I leave all the cuttings lay right where they are for mulch (and have never had problems with disease). In the spring, I spread the dead stuff around into the bare spots for mulch.

I seldom use 'killer stuff' unless I am creating a new bed --- then Round-Up or similar products do the job for me. If I have more time, I just smother the new beds with hay in late summer/fall so by spring I can plant.

o

I third the "grooming" approach. I just did mine and it was half-ratty and half nice with some new growth. I just yank off the ratty soft leaves and leave what looks good.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 13:04

I try to avoid doing spring clean up too early on my flower beds. I feel the "ratty" stuff insulated the plants over winter and when Spring weather/temps fluctuate so often, and new growth begins, the ratty stuff protects it.

With tough ole Lambs Ears however, in the early Spring I rake the spent leaves off any day it's nice and I have the time. In my garden, once established, It's difficult to irreparably damage Lambs ear.
hth,
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here