Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with Empress Wu hosta?

Posted by growlove zone4 Ia. (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:23

I am contemplating purchasing Empress Wu. Is it worth the price?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with Empress Wu hosta?

Mine has grown wonderfully. It is three years old now and I am expecting good things from it this year.

o

It's ginormous! I really like mine.

o

echinaceamaniac - can you post a picture of yours? I finally found one late last summer - I hope it survived the late planting and the dry, cold winter we've had!

o

it has been discussed a in a couple hundred posts in the.. wait for it.. hosta forum ...

7 to 10 years for it to get to its famous size ... maybe 5 ...

see you there??? .. we are supreme enablers over there..

ken

o

I just visited the hosta forum.... I was less that impressed with the pictures of it there. I tend to like the big blue hostas, so I hope I won't be disappointed with this one. I planted it in 'the wet corner' bed to be a companion to ostrich fern, a big goatsbeard, kirengshoma, and several hydrangeas. White trilliums and white corydalis are the ground layer there. A green hosta seemed to be the best choice for that spot and this one was the biggest one I'd heard off. I hope it works out OK.

o

I know I am in the minority here but last year was it's third year in my garden and so far I've been seriously underwhelmed by it. I'm hoping it shows me some reason to keep it this summer. I'm starting to think it should have been called Emperors New Clothes.

o

I may not have a photo of it. I will look though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here