Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalzbeta

Dormant Shasta Daisy

kalzbeta
9 years ago

Hey!

I'm in central Iowa, zone 5a. We moved here in mid July, and the previous owners left a metal bucket container (with no drainage holes) with a shasta daisy ("Becky" variety) when they left. We did nothing at all with it. All winter it sat in its spot next to our front porch, freezing, thawing, and mostly freezing. It was covered in snow for most of the winter. There was a good layer of mulch there, but as the snow melted, there was also a thick layer of ice IN the planter around the stem of the plant.

I assumed it was dead. I didn't know that shasta daisies are perennials. I figured I would empty it out in the spring. Now that it's spring, I scratched the bark of the stem, and it is (very slightly) green underneath. I moved it to a more sunny spot, hoping to evaporate what is now mostly water.

Is this thing dead? If it's not dead, what is the best way to take care of it? I don't know how many years it was in this planter; there were no daisies when we moved in. Should I take it out, divide it with a sharp serrated knife, and put it into a planter that DOES have drainage holes? Should I plant it in the ground?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?