Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have a zombie coreopsis

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 15:29

Two years ago, I planted a coreopsis underneath a birch tree. Bad idea. While it look ok the first year, the second year, it tried to come up and then appeared to die. Now it's back in the third year and it appeared to have grown a few inches overnight. It's the zombie coreopsis!

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have a zombie coreopsis

OK technically 3 years ago.

Paul

o

birch is extremely shallow rooted ... and its a desert under there... especially in drought..

was there drought last year???

and.. some plants.. react to drought.. by simply going dormant .. though they usually reawaken in fall .. to store some energy for winter ...

my best advice.. get it out of there ... no need to encourage zombie-ism ...

and april is that time to move it .. and take it with a gob of soil with it .... do it on a cloudy or rainy day .. and it will never know it was moved ...

ken

o

It's Night of the Living Coreopsis!!! Poor baby. I agree that you should move it!
Joann

o

Make sure it is watered well a few days before you transplant, if you choose to do so. I have many plants growing successfully under a river birch (with irrigation) for many, many years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here