Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coneflowers and mildew/mold

Posted by dough 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 15:58

I love coneflowers and have about 8 in my front flower bed that faces the SE.This spot gets full sun from sun up to sun down. Every year I struggle with them due to a powdery mildew that develops on the leaves and stems. Is there anything that I can use to prevent this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coneflowers and mildew/mold

baking soda and water..

or a bunch of other ways ... you might try the GW search function ....

and make sure you are not wetting the plants late in the evening.. dry plants.. in full sun.. should not get mildew ...

ken

o
RE: Coneflowers and mildew/mold

I'm a big fan of Neem oil. I've never seen mildew on my coneflowers, but our winter was so mild this year, I've been seeing it elsewhere for the last month already. Neem oil is primarily used as an insecticide/miticide, but it also has fungicidal properties. It's pretty much the only garden "chemical" I use because it's so effective against a broad spectrum of common garden issues-- plus it's organic.

You can find pre-mixed bottles of neem oil spray at just about any garden center, but they're a bit pricey. I use so much of it, I buy the pure oil and mix it myself-- 2Tbsp oil with 1Tbsp of old-school Dawn dish liquid in a one gallon pump sprayer. I say try a bottle of pre-mix, and if it works for you look into buying some pure oil. I buy it by the gallon from a website called organeem.com. One gallon usually lasts me at least a season, but it's the best price+shipping cost I could find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here