Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Transplant Sedum

whaas_5a
12 years ago

Sedum are starting to show up. Can I transplant them now or should I wait for them to put a little more growth on so they don't fall apart?

Comments (12)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 years ago

Yes, now is fine, as long as the soil isn't too wet too work. Doesn't matter if they fall apart, just stick them all in the hole and they'll be just fine, they won't miss a beat.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

Anytime. I've moved them in July too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

dig them up.. run them over with the car.. and plant 100 of them ..

its bulletproof ...

and anything that falls off.. root in a glass of water.. and plant in a few weeks ...

any piece with a cabbage and a single root.. will live ...

and halve it with the shovel .. even quarter it ...

get the idea?? bulletproof ...

ken

and for a nickle.. i will tell you what i really think ...

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Dang...I don't have a nickel on me. :(

Karen

• paulsiu
    12 years ago

The only thing that kills them is if it's too wet and the root rot. Mines actually grow underneath a birch tree where everything else have died. It apparently spread to a few places when animals attempt to eat it and pieces of it fall to the grow resulting in a new plant. I move it to a different spot a few times and they don't seemed to care. The roots are shallow so they are easy to move.

Paul

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those little buggers grew in the last 24 hours!

I moved em' and has even able to divide one.

Moved one massive mum that I broke into four pieces too. I can't believe how warm and dry it is out there!

12 years ago

mums are the same.. every single piece will root ...

and it is common .. that that big plant.. breaks apart the following spring.. if dug ...

one year.. i mail ordered about 25 mums.. all kinds ... 2 bucks each ....

and all they were.. were 3 to 4 inch cuttings.. rooted ...

most ended up not hardy for my z5.. but what a show i had that year ...

the old folks passed ... and the biz is long gone ...

do you know how to 'pinch' your mum .. for a fall show??? .. every time its new growth gets 6 inches... pinch back 3 ... usually around 6/1.. then 7/1 .. then 8/1 .... and by the time you are done.. you will have that big cushion you want ... otherwise.. it will grow straight up.. and have one flower on it.. probably in august ...

in other words.. pinching off the dominant leader.. causes dormant buds to trigger .. leading to multiple side branching ... and delays bud formation .... for fall.

ken

• alicate
    12 years ago

I have left my extra sedum plants, roots exposed, all winter on our driveway and they have STILL put out new growth. You CAN'T kill those those. At least I can't.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear ya the mums, the one I divided was Sheffield. Damn thing bloomed until November after numerous frosts. I didn't keep with this one and it did develop leaders. Here it is in November.

{{gwi:201886}}

My Mammoth Mums didn't require pinching they naturally created a bun shape if you will.

{{gwi:201887}}

{{gwi:201888}}

TJ, I wonder if that Red lillie blooms late? It would repeat the red colored mum in the area.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I just moved a Sedum Autumn Joy and a mum today! Both are very easy to transplant.

Paul, voles will kill Sedum too. The vole ate most of the roots on my Sedum Matronas over this past fall and winter. They may not be completely dead, because about 2 scraggly shoot are appearing, but they're on the brink of death. Ugh.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

The canna bloom for me until frost knocks them down, so yes, they bloom late. Even more so if I'm ambitious enough to deadhead.

tj

12 years ago

what i used to do.. was cut the canna tops.. after frost.. and they browned.. and tie them together for halloween decoration.. like corn stalks..

to give you the timing aspect ...

ken